$10,000 Hubert E. Storer Engineering Student Entrepreneurial Start-up Award for 2012-2013
|2012-2013 Award Recipient|
|2011-2012 Award Recipient|
|2010-2011 Award Recipient|
|2009-2010 Award Recipient|
|2007-2008 Award Recipient|
|2005-2006 Award Recipient|
|2004-2005 Award Recipients|
|2003-2004 Award Recipients|
|2002-2003 Award Recipients|
Through a generous gift from Engineering alumnus and entrepreneur Hubert E. Storer (BS 1959 in industrial engineering), president, owner and founder of Storer Equipment Company, Shreveport, LA, the College of Engineering has established the Hubert E. Storer Engineering Student Entrepreneurial Start-up Award that provides $10,000 initial financial support of College of Engineering students’ technological business plans.
Competing for a $10,000 2012-2013 Award
Any University of Iowa College of Engineering undergraduate student or graduate student (except international students) is eligible to compete for the $10,000 Storer Entrepreneurial Start-up Award. (Due to Federal laws, international students are not eligible for the award.)
Students will submit entries – in the form of formally written business plans – to the College of Engineering Dean’s Office (deadline is March 15, 2013). A review panel will judge the entries, and "elevator pitch" presentations will be made by the student finalists in front of the panel. The panel will recommend an award recipient to the College of Engineering Dean.
Student recipients enrolled in a College of Engineering degree program will be allowed to register their award as a qualified internship on their transcript. Each student recipient will have access to an entrepreneurial mentor, provided by the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center.
Any student company receiving a Storer Award may re-submit a business plan in the following year's competition for additional funding.
- August 2012-March 2013 -- Lynn Allendorf (319-335-3741, firstname.lastname@example.org), managing director, Bedell Entrepreneurship Learning Laboratory, and Megan Allen (319-335-5768, email@example.com), director of tutoring and retention/academic advisor, Student Development Center, are available to meet with Engineering students interested in competing for a Storer Award.
- March 15, 2013 – Deadline for submission of formal business plans by Engineering students to Engineering Dean’s Office.
- Early April 201 -- Student presentations are made in front of the panel of judges.
- Mid April 2012 – Award recipient company is announced and a check, payable to the winning company business plan, is awarded.
- By June 30, 2013 -- Award recipient company will file an annual written progress summary with the Engineering Dean's Office.