Edwin B. Green Chair in Hydraulics
The Edwin B. Green Chair in Hydraulics honors University of Iowa alumnus Edwin Green. The Chair is supported by income from the permanent Edwin B. Green Endowment Fund. Although he received his B.A. in journalism in 1929, Mr. Green was a long-time supporter of the arts, the medical community, and his own field, journalism. His generosity also has impacted UI endowed professorships and fellowships, University Libraries, Iowa Hall in the Museum of Natural History, and scholarships to help school children attend educational and recreational programs and summer camps.
During his time at Iowa, Mr. Green worked as an editorial and advertising staff member of The Daily Iowan. After graduating from the UI, he joined The Iowa City Press-Citizen, later serving as managing editor for 32 years until his retirement in 1966.
Over the years, before his death in 1988, Mr. Green was an exceptional friend of the UI Museum of Art. On many occasions he lent works from his collection of Grant Wood’s art. He also helped the museum acquire several important pieces, including Eugene Berman’s L’Orage, Emerson Woelffer’s Max Ernst, Ulfert Wilke’s Red Was the Beginning, and James Rosenquist’s Off the Continental Divide. In 1985, he made an outright donation of Sketch for Herbert Hoover’s Birthplace, which has been called one of the most important Wood drawings in existence. Also, through his efforts, the Wood painting Plaid Sweater was donated to the University.
Mr. Green’s generosity also extended to the UI Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Research Center, along with the Lewis E. January Learning Resources Unit and the School of Journalism. He helped in a campaign to establish a distinguished lectureship series in tribute to long-time School of Journalism director Les Moeller.