- Graduate Student population, Fall 2014, is 26% women; 9% Asian Ameican, 6% Latino or Hispanic , 5% African Ameican and 39% international
- The UI is a GEM (Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science) Institution
- The UI was awarded the University Centers of Exemplary Mentoring grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. This award leveraged existing relationships with the UI department of Mathematics to expand best practices in Ethnic Inclusion for graduate students across the STEM disciplines.
- The UI has collaborated with NSF IINSPiRE LSAMP and EPSCoR programs to establish networking, mentoring and internship programs to serve women and URM participants
- In 2015, The Multi Ethnic Engineering and Students Association marked 20 years of service in offering volunteer tutoring services to K-12 students from the surrounding community
- A number of highly achieved alumni including: Dr. Lilia A. Abron, Luther H. Smith, Thomas E. Daniels, and Dr. Clifford V. Smith, Jr.