2318 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Biophysics, University of California-Berkeley and San Francisco, 1988
A.B., Biophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 1983
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Live cell imaging techniques; nonequilibrium thermodynamics of living systems; reaction-diffusion models of biochemical reaction pathways; radiation biology; cell cycle regulation.
Present Research Interests:
Live cell imaging, modeling biochemical reaction pathways in living cells.
- Ahmad IM, Aykin-Burns N, Sim JE, Walsh SA, Higashikubo R, Buettner GR, Venkataraman S, Mackey MA, Flanagan S, Oberley LW, and Spitz DR: Mitochondrial O2•- and H2O2 Mediate Glucose Deprivation-Induced Cytotoxicity and Oxidative Stress in Human Cancer Cells. J Biol Chem 280, 4254-4262, 2005.
- Erenpreisa J, Kalejs M, Ianzini F, Kosmacek EA, Mackey MA, Emzinsh D, Cragg, MS, Ivanov A, and Illidge TM: Segregation of genomes in polyploid tumor cells following mitotic catastrophe. Cell Biol Int 29, 1005-1011, 2005.
- Yang F, Mackey MA, Ianzini F, Gallardo G, and Sonka M: From 2D to 3D: Cell segmentation, tracking, and mitosis detection using temporal context. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3749, 302-309, 2005.
- Ianzini F, Bertoldo A, Kosmacek EA, Phillips SL and Mackey MA: Lack of p53 Function Promotes Radiation-Induced Mitotic Catastrophe in Mouse Embryonic Fibroblast Cells. Cancer Cell Int 6, 11, 2006.
- Coskun H, Li Y, and Mackey MA: Amoeboid cell motility: “A model and inverse problem, with an application to live cell imaging data,” J Theor Biol, 244, 160-179 , 2007.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
Radiation Research Society; North American Hyperthermia Group; Cell Kinetics Society; Society for Mathematical Biology; Environmental Mutagen Society; European Society for Radiation Biology, Radiation Research Society; Biomedical Engineering Society.