- New Annex
- College A-Z
BME Graduate program: Current Students
- February 12th: Dr. Nicole Grosland, University of Iowa
- March 4th: Dr. Angela Pannier, Big 10 Exchange Speaker, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- March 18th: NO SEMINAR - Spring Break
- March 25th: Dr. Jose Assouline, UI Biomedical Engineering
- April 1st: Dr. Daniela Valdez-Jasso, Big 10 Exchange Speaker, University of Illinois at Chicago
- April 8th: NO SEMINAR - Research Open House
- April 15th: Dr. Qiao Lin, Columbia Universtiy, invited guest of Dr. John Engelhardt
- April 22nd: Dr. Leonardo Marino-Ramirez, Computational Biology, NCBI, NLM, NIH
- April 29th: Graduate Student Potluck, Second floor lobby/John Deere Plaza, SC
Information for Incoming Students
Welcome to Biomedical Engineering!
You have submitted a successful application and been admitted to graduate school - Congratulations! Now you may need some information as you start this new journey. Please review the following for help as you are making plans to arrive in the Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty area. Feel free to send questions to email@example.com. Once you have arrived on campus you will need to get your student ID card, and stop by Engineering Computer Services to activate your College of Engineering computer account (you need to be registered prior to doing this).
Financial Aid - Students usually identify laboratories to join during their first year. The Graduate College has many other resources available to review.
- Funding Your Education - Grants, fellowships, and scholarships.
- Graduate Assistant Job Postings
- Graduate Student Union Contract (COGS)
- Tuition and Fees - Choose your semester of study, and the Graduate College in the boxes, then the College of Engineering.
Housing - Whether you plan to live on campus, off campus, or commute, there are many options available.
- Aspire at West Campus - Housing for graduate students and faculty.
- Family Services - Information about child care, summer programs, community resources.
- Temporary Housing - Arriving on campus 3 days before your lease starts?
- Off Campus Housing - You can find apartments within walking distance or a short bus ride. Some students choose to live as far out as North Liberty and commute.
- U of I Housing Resources - Your first stop for information regarding housing locations and tenant information.
- Utilities and Transportation - Find your electric company, or Cambus/City bus transportation maps.
- Search for Apartment Listings - Or search for a roommate.
- UI Owned Rental Properties - Open to faculty, staff, and graduate students.
Parking and Transportation
- U of I Parking and Transportation - Cambus schedules, parking permits, discounted city bus passes, commuter programs.
- City of Iowa City Parking - Review the rules for parking in downtown and residential areas, moped information, map of parking ramps.
- Bicycle Trails - You can ride your bicycle from south of Iowa City through North Liberty on trails, a very bike-friendly community.
Recreation Activities - Make some time for fun!
- Iowa City Recreation Division - Swimming, free gym equipment, arts and crafts studio, dance lessons and more!
- University of Iowa Recreational Services - Intramural sports, a brand new fitness facility, outdoor sports equipment rental. Care to learn sailing?
- Lake MacBride and Coralville Reservoir - Frisbee golf, mountain bike trails, boating, swimming, fishing, camping (with equipment you rented from rec services)!
Student Research Projects
Graduate students in the Department of Biomedical Engineering apply engineering principles, techniques and tools to improve human health. Below is a listing of the ongoing research by BME graduate students (includes BS/MS fast track, MS non thesis, MS thesis and Ph.D. candidates).
2015-2016 Graduate Theses:
|Sean Sweeney, PHD, "Multimodal Nanoparticles for Image-Guided Delivery of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Treatment of Myocardial Infarction"|
|Mark Christopher, PHD, "Computational Methods to Model Disease and Genetic Effects on Optic Nerve Head Structure"|
|Abhilash Srikumar Kizhakke Puliyakote, PHD, "Comprehensive Assessment And Characterization Of Pulmonary Acinar Morphometry Using Multi - Resolution Micro X - Ray Computed Tomography"|
|Gohar Manzar, PHD, "Generation and Function of Glucose-responsive Insulin Producing Cells Derived from Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells"|
|Samantha Dilger, PHD, "Pushing the boundaries: Feature extraction from the lung improves pulmonary nodule classification"|
|Hyeong Choe, PHD, "Feasibility of Intra-Articular Adeno-Associated Virus-Mediated Proteoglycan-4 Gene Therapy to Prevent Osteoarthritis"|
|Liza Shrestha, PHD, "Building User Interactive Capabilities For Image-Based-Modeling of Patient-Specific Biological Flows in Single Platform"|
|Chaid Schwarz, PHD, "Modeling of the Radial Compressive Properties of an Aortic Stent Graft"|
|Monica Paliwal, PHD, "Validation of a Novel Balance Board Based Approach to Interpret Center of Pressure Results in Patients with Symptomatic Spinal Deformity"|
|Aribet De Jesus, PHD, "Effects of Mechanical Stimulation on Fribroblast-Guided Microstructural and Compositional Remodeling"|
|Samuel Jones, MS, "Evaluation of a Low-cost Aerosol Sensor to Assess Occupational Exposures"|
|Moustafa Ibrahim, MS, "Automated NURBS Biased Mesh Generation of Patient-Specific Geometry"|
|Steven Long, MS, "Designing and Implementing a Computer Vision Based Surgical Simulator for Hip Wire Navigation."|
|Ryan Grant, MS, "Community Based Air Quality Monitoring Near Proppant Sand Facilities"|
|Kevin Dibbern, MS, "An Objective CT-based Method for Quantifying Articular Fracture Severity: Clinical Application in Multiple Joints"|
|Maziar Aghvami, PHD, "Fiber Network and Nonlinear Models of Cell Matrix Interactions and Mechanosensing on Fibrous Gels"|
|Jessica Forbes, MS, "Graphical Use Interface Development for Medical Imaging Analysis"|
|Aaron Goddard, MS, "Applying Vessel Inlet/Outlet Boundary Conditions to Patient-Specific Models Embedded in Cartesian Grids"|
|Jiawen Chen, MS, "The Development of a DICOM Import Software and Modality Calculators for Radiology Protocols"|
|Nana Owusu, MS, "Characterization of T1rho sensitivity to metabolite and temperature changes"|
|Benjamin Krog, MS, "Mechanisms of resistance to fluid shear stress in malignant cells"|
|Colleen Rink, MS, "Assessing intertrochanteric fracture fixation using tip-apex distance and guide wire trajectories"|
|Armin Avdic, MS, "Global Optimization Using Metadynamics And A Polarizable Force Field: Application To Protein Loops"|
|Leah Taylor, MS, "Objective Assessment of Wire Navigation in the Operating Room"|
|Andrew Metzger, MS, "An automated tissue classification pipeline for magnetic resonance images of infant brains using age-specific atlases and level set segmentation."|
Past Research Projects
- Abhilash Srikumar K, Morphometric assessment of pulmonary acinus using microCT imaging techniques, comparison of regional variations and across common research mice strains.
- Adam D, Bioinformatics - Next Generation Sequence Analysis
- Amanda D, Machine learning. Classification of clubfoot images.
- Amy C, Design of a facet implant with use in a FE lumbar spine model
- Andrew K, Orthopaedic Biomechanics; Expedited contact stress computation, fracture energy assessment, computational fracture reconstruction, Image analysis
- Andrew W, Vocal fold mechanobiology
- Anna H, Cerebral aneurysm biomechanics
- Aribet D, Mechanobiology and Tissue Engineering
- Benjamin B, Cardiovascular biomechanics - Cerebral aneurysm shape analysis to help assess risk
- Benjamin D, Cardiovascular Biomechanics
- Chaid S, Cardiovascular Biomechanics: Experimental analysis and modeling of devices used to treat abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Cheng Z, Cartilage Mechanobiology: The relationship between heat shock protein (HSP47) and type II collagen in Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis(PTOA). Stem cell biology: Gene analysis of progenitor cells in meniscus
- David D, Bioinformatics - Classification of Patient Data
- DeMaris Ron W, Molecular Biophysics: prediction of structure, thermodynamics and solubility of drug tablets for pharmaceutical application
- Emily H, 3D Visualization of CT and MRI data sets, image processing
- Eun Young K, Medical image processing, statistic/machine-learning based segmentation/registration/pipeline development for longitudinal analysis.
- Gary O, Orthopaedic biomechanics and surgical simulation for resident education
- Gohar M, Tissue engineering and stem cells; Applying proteomics for the development of cancer immunotherapies
- Gosia H,
- Hoda Z, Cell-matrix interaction and mechanobiology
- Huijing Y, Undecided,focus on Bio-imaging
- Hye Young H, Detecting activity-evoked pH changes in human brain using MRI
- Hyeong C, Biomechanics - cartilage lubrication and progenitor cell migration
- Jacob E, Orthopaedics - computational investigation of failure modalities for current total hip replacements
- Jeffrey Y,
- Jessica H, Mechanisms of hemostasis and thrombosis
- Jessica M, Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
- John K, Cellular Cybernetics
- John L, Musculoskeletal Biomechanics/Occupational Health: modeling muscle fatigue and its effects in the workplace
- John M, Biomechanics - Supine human response to whole-body vibration
- Jonathan D, Biomechanics - Human motion and discomfort associated with whole-body vibration environments
- Joy M, Diffusion weighted image procssing and analysis in Huntington's Disease
- Kaifang D, Pulmonary function analysis; Image processing;
- Karen K, Orthopaedic Biomechanics; Wear in total hip arthroplasty
- Kaustubh Anil P, Predicting dynamic motion in the presence of disturbances; control systems, machine learning.
- Kee Woong J, Biophysical effect of ultrasound in articular cartilage
- Krishna I, Functional imaging methods to characterize early centrilobular emphysema progression
- Kristin K, Non-thesis (Bioimaging focus)
- Kuo Chun H, Undecided
- Leo A, Examination of the coupling relationship between cerebral hemodynamics and neuronal activity in BOLD fMRI, Further development/investigation of msMRI (an experimental fMRI technique)
- Lijun S, Medical image processing, Quantitative analysis of micro-CT imaging
- Liza S, Undecided: focus on image to flow analysis
- Long G, Bioinformatics - Computational genomics
- Marc B, Cartilage Mechanobiology: Tracing the signaling and subsequent metabolic response of cartilage under load; Cancer Therapy: Sensitizing chondrosarcoma tumors to radiation treatment
- Mark C,
- Meeshanthini V, Bioinformatics: computational genomics and epigenetics
- Mehrdad H, Computational Aeroacoustics; Modelling of the Human Larynx
- Mohammad B, Human modeling and biomechanics, artificial neural networks.
- Monica P, Balance problems in spinal deformities
- Nicholas L, Cardiac Ion channel
- Olga K, Assessment of mechanisms of emphysema using physiologic imaging modalities
- Paul J, Computational framework development for aortic valve analysis
- Pavana Gururaj R, Tissue engineering, stem cells- focus on diabetes.
- Piyusha G, Undecided, focus bioimaging
- Puneet M, Texture Analysis of PET images
- Rohini R, Blood flow analysis of brain aneurysms
- Ryan C, The neural control of movement, how the central and peripheral nervous systems control reaching
- Sajan Goud L, Magnetic Resonance Imaging: novel acquisition and reconstruction methods
- Samantha D, Classification of lung nodules from CT images
- Sanghun C, Image Registration and CFD simulation of human lungs
- Saphia W, Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
- Sean E,
- Sean M, Physiologic imaging techniques; image processing and analysis; ex vivo lung perfusion and evaluation.
- Sean S, Stem cell tissue engineering, nanomaterials for non-invasive imaging
- Sucheta M, Quantitative Imaging using PET-CT: Model of beam hardening correction for improved quantification in preclinical micro-CT.
- Tianjiao W, Spine biomechanics - FE and optimization modeling of the spine and back muscles; Structure analysis of the spine and muscle analysis
- Timothy C, Understanding rupture in aortic aneurysms using cadaver specimens
- Tyler S, Orthopaedic biomechanics - knee joint stress analysis
- Tyson F,
- Venkat Keshav C, Modeling of cell membranes for blood cells, platelets, cancer cells and other types of cells. Performing fluid-structure interaction analysis to simulate a system of multiple cells flowing in blood. Applying this system to investigate cancer metastasis. Incorporating this model in a multi-scale analysis framework for modeling flow in human circulation.
- Vijay G, Fluid-structure interaction dynamics of the heart valve
- Vijay P, Orthopaedic biomechanics - Finite Element of Reverse Shoulder Implants
- Wenxiang D,
- Yang Wook K, Image processing; Image registration
- Yin Y, Stem cell biology: identification of progenitor/stem cells in articular cartilage/meniscus; Tissue engineering: 3-D bioprinting for articular cartilage regeneration.
- YuJaung K, Neurological diseases, Sudden Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP)