Gregory R. Carmichael
Professor Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Researcher Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing
4134 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, 1979.
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, 1975.
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University, 1974.
Present Research Interests:
Air quality and atmospheric chemistry modeling; data assimilation, chemical weather forecasting.
- Saide, P, G. R. Carmichael, S. Spak, P. Minnis, and J. K. Ayers, Improving aerosol distributions below clouds by assimilating satellite-retrieved cloud droplet number, PNAS, doi/10.1073/pnas.1205877109, July 2012.
- Huang, M., G. Carmichael, S. Kulkarni, D. Streets, Z. Lu, Q. Zhang, R. B. Pierce, Y. Kondo, J. Jimenez, M. Cubison, B. Anderson, A. Wisthaler, Sectoral and geographical contributions to summertime continental United States (CONUS) black carbon spatial distributions, Atmos. Environ. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.01.021.
- Tsao, C.-C., Campbell, J.E., Mena-Carrasco, M., Spak, S.N., Carmichael, G.R., Chen, Y. Increased estimates of air pollution emissions from Brazilian sugarcane ethanol, Nature Climate Change, 53-5, 2012.
- Evaluating WRF-Chem aerosol indirect effects in Southeast Pacific marine stratocumulus during VOCALS-REx Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 11, 29723-29775, 2011.
- Adhikary, B., Carmichael, G. R., Kulkarni, S., et al.: A regional scale modeling analysis of aerosol and trace gas distributions over the eastern Pacific during the INTEX-B field campaign, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 2091–2115, 2010, www.atmos-chem-phys.net/10/2091/2010/.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Institute of Chemical Engineers; Air Pollution Control Association; American Meteorological Society; American Chemical Society; Iowa Academy of Science; Sigma Xi; American Geophysical Union; American Society of Engineering Education; Omega Chi Epsilon; American Association for the Advancement of Science; Tau Beta Pi.