Colby C. Swan
4120 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Princeton University, 1993
M.S., Ocean Engineering, University of Miami, 1985
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Maine, 1983
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Computational solid mechanics; geomechanics; composites; topology optimization; biomechanics.
Present Research Interests:
Structural composites; multi-scale computational clothing models for digital humans; structural topology optimization of compliant mechanisms; and bone adaptation phenomena.
- Gururaja, S., Kim, H.J., Swan, C.C., Brand, R.A. and Lakes, R.S. "Modeling deformation- induced fluid flow in cortical bone’s lacunar-canalicular system," Annals of Biomedical Engng. 33(1):7-25 (2005).
- Swan, C.C., Lakes, R.S., Brand, R.A., and Stewart K.J., "Micromechanically based poroelastic modeling of fluid flow in Haversian bone," J. Biomech. Engng. 125(1) (2003).
- Rahmatalla, S. and Swan, C.C. "Sparse monolithic compliant mechanisms using continuum structural topology optimization,"Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng. 62:1579-605 (2005).
- Rahmatalla, S and Swan, C.C. "Form-finding of sparse structures using continuum topology optimization," J. Struct. Engng. 129(12) 1707-16 (2003).
- Rahmatalla, S. and Swan C.C., "Continuum structural topology of buckling-sensitive structures," AIAA Journal 41(6) 1180-1189 (2003).
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME); The Fiber Society; International Society for Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization (ISSMO); United States Association for Computational Mechanics (USACM).