David M. Cwiertny
4136 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2006
B.S.E., Environmental Engineering Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2000
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Environmental Chemistry, Water and Wastewater Treatment and Reuse.
Present Research Interests:
Materials-based treatment strategies for water and wastewater, chemical transformation pathways for emerging contaminant classes in a natural aquatic systems.
- Gong, A., Lanzl, C., D.M. Cwiertny, and S.L. Walker (submitted). Influence of Varying levels of Extracellular Plymeric Substances (EPS) on Hydroxyl Radical Mediated Disinfection of Escherichia coli. Submitted to Environmental Science and Technology, July 22, 2011.
- R.L. Oulton, T. Kohn and D.M. Cwiertny (2010). Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in Effluent Matrices: A Survey of Transformation and Removal during Wastewater Treatment and Implications for Wastewater Management. J. Environ. Monit., 12, 1956-1978.
- Y. Xie and D.M. Cwiertny (2010). Use of Dithionite to Extend the Reactive Lifetime of Nanoscale Zero-Valent Iron Treatment Systems. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 8649-8655.
- P. Larese-Casonova, D.M. Cwiertny, and M.M. Scherer (2010) Nanogoethite Formation from Oxidation of Fe(II) Sorbed on Aluminum Oxide: Implications for Contaminant Reduction. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 3765-3771
- D.M. Cwiertny, R.M. Handler, M.V. Schaefer, V.H. Grassian, and M.M. Scherer (2008). Interpreting Nanoscale Size Effects in Aggregating Fe-Oxide Suspensions: Reaction of Fe(II) with Geothite. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta., 72, 1365-1380.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Chemical Society, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors, Engineers Without Borders, American Geophysical Union, Tau Beta Pi.