Gene F. Parkin
Professor Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor Occupational and Environmental Health
Researcher Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing
4106 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 1977
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Iowa, 1971
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Iowa, 1970
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Environmental engineering; environmental biotechnology; bioremediation.
Present Research Interests:
Bioremediation of contaminated waters; constructed wetlands treatment of contaminated waters; role of microbial-reactive mineral interactions in fate and transport of pollutants (e.g., As, Hg, oxidized organics; anaerobic biological waste treatment; health effects of environmental contamination.
- Shrout, J.D., Williams, A.G.B., Scherer, M.M., and Parkin, G. F., "Inhibition of Microbial Perchlorate Reduction by Zero-Valent Iron," Biodegredation, 16, pp.23-32 (2005).
- Sawyer, C.N., McCarty, P.L., and Parkin, G.F., Chemistry for Environmental Engineering and Science, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, New York (2003).
- Williams, A.G.B., Gregory, K.B., Parkin, G.F., and Scherer, M.M., “Hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine Transformation by Biologically Reduced Ferrihydrite: Evolution of Fe Mineralogy, Surface Area, and Reaction Rates,” Environmental Science & Technology, 39, pp. 5183-5189 (2005).
- Shrout, J.D., Struckhoff, G.C., Parkin, G.F., and Schnoor, J.L., “Stimulation and Molecular Characterization of Bacterial Perchlorate Degradation by Plant-Produced Electron Donors,” Environmental Science & Technology, 40, pp. 310-317 (2006).
- Nivala, J., Hoos, M.B., Cross, C.S., Wallace, S.D., and Parkin, G.F., "Treatment of Landfill Leachate Using an Aerated, Subsurface-flow Constructed Wetland," The Science of the Total Environment, 380, pp. 19-27 (2007).
- Brown, H. and Parkin, G.F., "The effect of Sulfide Inhibition and Organic Shock Loading on Anaerobic Biofilm Reactors Treating a Low-Temperature, High-Sultate Wastewater," Water Environment Research, 81(3), pp. 265-288 (2009).
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
Water Environment Federation; Iowa Water Environment Association; American Society of Civil Engineers; Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors; American Chemical Society.