James W. Stoner
4123 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, 1977
M.S., Urban & Regional Planning, University of Iowa, 1972
B.S., Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 1966
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Transportation planning; real-time computer simulation; traffic engineering; project management.
Present Research Interests:
Dynamic simulation of vehicles and pavements; driver performance; visual data bases for ground vehicle simulation; vehicle dynamics.
- Bhatti, A. and Stoner, J.W., "Simulation Loads from Different Vehicle Configurations," International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 396-416, 1994.
- Stoner, J.W., "Human Factors Applications of Driving Simulation," Fatigue and Driving, Taylor and Francis Publishers, pp. 207-219, 1995.
- Stoner, J.W. and Evans, D.F., "Database Development for Real-Time Driving Simulation," IPC-8, Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, pp. 7-12, November, 1995.
- Bhatti, A., Barlow, J.A. and Stoner, J.W., "Modeling Damage to Rigid Pavements Caused by Sub-grade Pumping," Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 1, pp. 12-22, January/February, 1996.
- Stoner, J.W. and Evans, D.F., "Virtual Environments for Evaluating ITS Systems," Proceedings of the Second World Congress on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Yokohama, Japan, November, 1995.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
Transportation Research Board; Institute of Transportation Engineers; American Planning Association, Transportation Division; Chi Epsilon; Image Society.