Jasbir S. Arora
4110 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Mechanics and Hydraulics, The University of Iowa, 1971
M.S., Structures, Kansas State University, 1967
B.S. with Honors, Civil Engineering, Panjab University, 1964
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Optimization algorithms; optimization of structural and mechanical systems.
Present Research Interests:
Optimization-based digital human models; Predictive dynamics; optimization and control of nonlinear systems.
- Arora, J.S., Introduction to Optimum Design, Third Edition, Elsevier Academic Press, 2012.
- Arora, J.S., Formulating Design Problems as Optimization Problems, Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, Volume 8, Part 6, Chapter 1, John Wiley, New York, 2010.
- Wang, Q. and Arora, J.S., "Several Alternative Formulations for Transient Dynamic Response Optimization: An Evaluation," International Journal for Numerical Methods for Engineering, Vol. 80, pp. 631-650, 2009.
- Xiang, Y., Chung, H.J., Kim, J., Bhatt, R., Marler, T., Rahmatalla, S., Yang, J., Arora, J.S., and Abdel-Malek, K., "Predictive Dynamics: An Optimization-Based Novel Approach for Human Motion Simulation," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 465-480, 2010.
- Xiang, Yujiang, Arora, J.S., and Abdel-Malek, K., "Physics-based Modeling and Simulation of Human Walking: A Review of Optimization-based and Other Approaches," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 2010.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Civil Engineers; Structural Engineering Institute; American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics; Sigma Xi; American Society of Mechanical Engineers.