Wilfrid A. Nixon
Professor Civil and Environmental Engineering
Faculty Research Engineer IIHR -- Hydroscience & Engineering
4121 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Engineering, Cambridge University, 1985
M.A., Engineering, Cambridge University, 1985
B.A., Engineering, Cambridge University, 1981
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Water highway maintenance; ice engineering; mechanical properties of ice.
Present Research Interests:
Snow and ice removal from roads; fatigue of ice as a structural material; modeling ice structure interaction; compressive strength of brittle materials.
- Nixon, W.A., "Managing Information for Optimal Winter Service Activities," Proc. XIth PIARC International Winter Road Congress, Topic II - Snow and Ice Management and Its Costs, Paper 27 (on CD-ROM), Sapporo, Japan, January 2002.
- Kochumman, G., and Nixon, W.A., "A Prototype System to Extract Winter Weather Information for Road Users,"International Journal of the Computer, The Internet and Management, Vol. 11, No. 1, January - April 2003, pp. 42-50.
- Nixon,W.A., "Winter Highway Maintenance: A Look Forward," in Transportation Research Board Special Publication - Transportation in the New Millennium: State of the Art and Future Directions (CD-ROM), January 2000.
- Nixon, W.A., "Use of Abrasives in Winter Maintenance at the County Level," Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1741, pp. 42-46, 2001.
- W. A. Nixon and L. Qiu, “Developing a Storm Severity Index,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 1911, pp. 143 -148, 2005.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Civil Engineers; American Society of Mechanical Engineers; Transportation Research Board; American Society for Engineering Education.