• How do I Change my Academic or Faculty Advisor?

    First make sure you know who your current advisor is.  You can find this out by logging into ISIS.  Then ask your prospective advisor if they are available.

    If you are a junior or senior, you must have faculty advisor from your major program.  If you would like to chagne your Academic or Faculty Advisor folllow the directions at this link.

    If you are a first or second year student (E1 or E2) you may have an academic advisor from the Student Development Center or you may have a faculty advisor.  You do not have to have a formal advisor to get good advice.  While only the advisor listed on ISIS can authorize your registration, faculty and SDC advisors are all willing to give you advice.  Just ask!

  • May I withdraw from my class?

    Undergraduates receive the mark of W for any course dropped after the second week of the semester or the first one-and-one-half weeks of the summer session. Students remain responsible for the tuition associated with the course.  Students may not drop the same course with a mark of W more than twice.

  • How many semester hours does it take to be a sophomore? A junior? A senior?

    Students in the College of Engineering are classified by the number of semester hours of credit they have earned toward the Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

    First-year: 0-29 s.h. earned toward the B.S.E.
    Sophomore: 30-59 s.h. earned toward the B.S.E.
    Junior: 60-89 s.h. earned toward the B.S.E.
    Senior: 90 s.h. or more earned toward the B.S.E.

  • How do I withdraw from the entire semester?

    Students who withdraw their entire registration must consult the staff at the Student Development Center.

    A student on scholastic probation who withdraws registration at any time without good cause may not be permitted to enroll for the following semester without specific approval from the Student Development Center staff. Withdrawal requests must be approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Programs.

  • I do not like the grade I received in a class, what can I do?

    Students have to option to retake a class for second grade option. Any student can have up to 3 second grade options. In order for you to receive a second grade option they need to complete the second grade option form, located in 3124 SC or online.

    The second grade option.   A student may elect to repeat a course with only the new grade being counted in his or her grade-point average. The option may be applied to no more than three courses, and it may be applied only once to a given course. Transfer students may apply the option on a prorated basis.
    A course may not be repeated under the second-grade-only option once it has been used as a prerequisite for a more advanced course that the student has completed successfully.

    Students who want to exercise this second-grade-only option should register as usual for the course that is to be repeated, then complete a second-grade option form at the Student Development Center. This form must be completed during the session in which the course is repeated--during the first 12 weeks of the fall or spring semester or the first six weeks of the summer session. (Unless the student follows the procedure stated above, both grades will be counted in the UI grade-point average.)

    Under the provisions of this option, the registrar marks the permanent record to show that a particular course has been repeated. Both grades remain on the permanent record, but only the second one is used in calculating the grade-point average and hours earned. The course must be taken the second time under the same circumstances and with the same grade option as it was taken the first time.
    The second-grade-only option cannot be used to remove a grade of incomplete, which must be removed in the usual manner. A student who holds a degree from The University of Iowa may not use the second-grade-only option on a course taken before the degree was conferred.

  • I am failing a class, what can I do?

    Speak to the professor to see what you could be doing differently. Talk to your advisor about your study habits, get some tips on how to change what you are doing wrong. Utilize tutoring programs, they really can improve your grade. Also, you can drop any individual course throughout the semester, but there is a deadline.

  • What is Performance Improvement Plan and what am I supposed to do with it?

    The Performance Improvement Plan is for students who have been put on academic probation. Students on probation are asked to analyze what prohibited their success in the past, their goal for the future and specific actions to be taken to achieve goals. Arrange an appointment with Nancy Schneider and follow-up meeting with faculty advisor.

  • Will I be dismissed for poor grades?

    Students who do not achieve or surpass University of Iowa cumulative and semester minimum grade-point averages of 2.00 are placed on academic probation.

    Students on academic probation are restored to good standing when they successfully complete an additional 9 s.h. toward an engineering degree, either in one semester or cumulatively, and their University of Iowa cumulative and semester grade-point averages equal or exceed 2.00.

    The college reviews academic records for all students at the end of the fall and spring semesters. There is no review at the end of the summer session. Students are placed on probation, dismissed for unsatisfactory progress (with or without previous probationary status), or restored to good standing only at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Students on academic probation are not permitted to continue their enrollment without written expectations for their future performance.

    Students who do not make satisfactory progress may be dismissed from the college without an intervening probationary period. Students who are dismissed from the college for unsatisfactory academic progress due to circumstances beyond their control, such as a death in their immediate family or extended personal illness, may appeal for a revocation of the dismissal. A student dismissed in January must submit a written appeal by the second day of spring semester classes. A student dismissed in May must submit the written appeal by June 15.

    Students dismissed from the college for poor scholarship may appeal to re-enroll after an interval of at least one calendar year. A written appeal for reinstatement must be submitted to the Appeals Committee at the Student Development Center. Appeals must be submitted before June 15 for reinstatement in a fall semester or before December 1 for reinstatement in a spring semester.

    For details, see Academic Standards and Appeal Procedures under Current Students on the college's web site.

  • My GEC is in my course pool, why?

    Your GEC simply needs to be placed in your degree. To do this you need to email Megan Allen, provide your name, student ID#, and state the GEC course that needs to be placed in your degree.

  • Will this course work for my EFA?

    Questions about whether a course is appropriate for your EFA should be directed to your faculty advisor.  However, many of the departments list acceptable courses on their website.  If the course is not on the approved list of EFA courses (which can be found on your major's curriculum web site) or if you want to change a course on your EFA, many departments will allow you to fill out a petition and substitution form.  The form must be submitted to the Student Development Center (3124 SC).

  • How do I complete the honors in the major designation?

    Engineering students who have achieved junior status and earned a UI cumulative GPA of 3.33 or higher are eligible to apply to the College of Engineering Honors Program (also known as Honors in the Major). Students apply to be part of the Engineering Honors Program during their junior year or early in their senior year. The application is available online, http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/current-students/educational-opportunities/honors-education-opportunities.

    Participation in the Engineering Honors Program culminates in the submission of a written report (thesis). While research topics and approaches will vary by discipline and topic, all students work under the direction of an Honors Project Faculty Mentor and a Departmental Honors Advisor. A 3.33 or higher UI cumulative GPA must be maintained. See hhttp://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/current-students/educational-opportunities/honors-education-opportunities for details about requirements.

    Students who fulfill the requirements of Engineering Honors are recognized at commencement. Achievement of Engineering Honors is also noted on the transcript and diploma.

  • How do I graduate with Distinction?

    Graduation with distinction recognizes high academic achievement based on grades. The college awards degrees "with highest distinction" to students in the highest 2 percent of their graduating class, "with high distinction" to students in the next-highest 3 percent, and "with distinction" to students in the next-highest 5 percent. Ranking is based on students' grade-point average for all college-level study taken up to their final registration.
    To be eligible to be considered for graduation with distinction, students must complete their final 60 s.h. of study in residence at the college and must have completed at least 45 s.h. in the college before their final registration. Students in the combined engineering/liberal arts and sciences program are eligible to graduate with distinction regardless of the college in which they complete their residency requirement.

  • How do I get on the Dean's List?

    Undergraduate students in the College of Engineering who achieve a GPA. of 3.50 or higher on 12 s.h. or more of University of Iowa graded course work during a given semester or summer session and who have no semester hours of I (incomplete) or O (no grade reported) during the same semester are recognized by inclusion on the Dean's List for that semester.

  • How do I get on the President's List?

    University of Iowa undergraduate students who achieve a g.p.a. of 4.00 on 12 s.h. or more of University of Iowa graded course work and who have no semester hours of I (incomplete) or O (no grade reported) for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) are recognized by inclusion on the President's List.

  • I want to take a course at a community college, what can I take?

    Refer to our transfer guide to see which courses are transferable. You can also refer to ISIS to check out courses transferring outside of the College of Engineering.

  • Why should I do a co-op or internship?

    The Cooperative Education and Internship Program offers students the opportunity to explore engineering careers and develop engineering skills through periods of professional practice while they are still students. Supervised professional engineering-related experiences in business, industry, education, or government expose students to the challenges and opportunities of the day-to-day life of an engineer. Students with co-op and/or internship experience are sought by employers and usually receive higher starting salaries upon graduation. A portion of registered co-op and/or internship experience before graduation can be credited toward the experience requirements for professional licensure in Iowa and some other states.

    Qualified students may choose to alternate periods of on-campus study with full-time work experience, or they may elect to work half time while taking at least 6 s.h. of classes. The co-op experience may cover one to three semesters, a series of summer placements, or a single summer. Students may apply to the program following their first year. Academic record and class status are considered in acceptance decisions. Interested students and employers or organizations must register with the College of Engineering director of professional development. For details, see Engineering Professional Development.

  • What if I have a learning disability, or think I might have a learning disability?

    If you have a history of diagnosed learning disabilities and are not receiving assistance, you should contact Student Disability Services as soon as possible to initiate the process of registering and becoming eligible for services. If you have not been diagnosed with a learning disability, visit the Student Disability Services website for information on the documentation required to become eligible for SDS services.

  • What should I do if I need to be absent from classes?

    The first thing to do is to notify your instructors of your impending absence, find out what material you will be missing, and if it is possible for you to hand in assignments late or make up missed quizzes and examinations. If you miss class for illness, personal or family emergencies, or other excusable reasons, you can print an Absence from Class Form from the Registrar’s website. You may later be required, by instructors or by the College, to provide additional documentation to validate your absence, and you may still be responsible for making up missed work, at the discretion of each individual instructor.

  • My question is not listed here. What should I do?

    Contact the Student Development Center (3124 SC, 319-335-5763).

  • Can I get credit for my co-op experience?

    Students who have qualified work experiences can register for the co-op/internship class. This is a zero credit hour class that will go on your transcript and validate your work experience by the College of Engineering. This validation will increase your marketability to employers, potentially fulfill select graduation requirements for certain engineering majors, and (if you are working full time) maintain your student status for enrollment purposes. If you are working full time in the Fall or Spring semester, you must register for the course in order to remain a full time student in the college. Make an appointment with Kelli Delfosse at (319)335-5763 for more information.

  • How do my grades get calculated in my GPA?

    The college uses a letter grading system. A denotes superior performance, B denotes above average, C denotes average, D denotes below average, and F denotes failure of the course.

    Plus and minus designate gradations of performance between letter grades. Letter grades and their numerical equivalents are as follows.

    • A–plus: 4.33
    • A (superior): 4.00
    • A–minus: 3.67
    • B–plus: 3.33
    • B (above average): 3.00
    • B–minus: 2.67
    • C–plus: 2.33
    • C (average): 2.00
    • C–minus: 1.67
    • D–plus: 1.33
    • D (below average): 1.00
    • D–minus: 0.67
    • F (failing): 0

    This grading system is used for all students in both undergraduate and graduate engineering courses. Grades of D-minus are passing grades; that is, courses completed with grades of D-minus or higher count toward collegiate requirements, with the exception of MATH:1550 Engineering Mathematics I: Single Variable Calculus and MATH:1560 Engineering Mathematics II: Multivariable Calculus, which have a minimum grade requirement of C-minus or higher. Grades of A-plus have a value of 4.33 in calculating grade-point averages, but averages displayed in University records are truncated so that they do not exceed 4.00.

  • I am interested in an internship or a co-op, how will it affect my semesters?

    Each case is different and so students will be directed to go to their advisors for a meeting to discuss what their remainder time will look like here at the university after the internship or co-op has been approved.

  • How do I declare a minor?

    Most majors can now declare a minor on ISIS. If you think you may have enough credits for a minor in a subject closely related to your major (like math, chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, or business), we encourage you to use the Graduation Analysis at the Registrar's office located in Jessup Hall.

  • How do I obtain a letter proving that I am a registered student in the College of Engineering?

    Enrollment verifications are requested for a variety of reasons including loan deferment, health insurance, good student discount for auto insurance, international student IDs and employment. Students can print the following enrollment verifications through their ISIS account:

    • Enrollment (health insurance)
    • Semester GPA (good student discount for auto insurance)
    • Test scores
    • Degree(s) earned
  • How can I request to register for additional semester hours?

    College of Engineering students seeking to register for additional semester hours above the maximum given during early registration, will need to complete the request for special permission to register form.  Students will need to sign the form and obtain their advisors signature prior to turning the form into 3124 SC. 

  • How do I add a course?

    Courses may be added with permission of the advisor and the instructor during the first two weeks of the semester or first one-and-one-half weeks of the summer session.

  • How do I drop a course?

    Courses may be dropped with permission of your advisor and the instructor of the course at any time during the first 10 weeks of the semester. Only under compelling circumstances may courses be dropped after the 10th week, in which case special approval must be granted by the advisor, the course instructor, and the dean's office. Under no circumstance are students permitted to drop after the beginning of the scheduled final examination period.  Add/Drop forms may be found in the Student Development Center or on the Registrar's website.

  • What if I have a conflict between a scheduled class and test?

     First, you should always check meeting times and read course descriptions for courses you intend to register for, and do your best to avoid conflicts between any class activities. However, sometimes it is not possible to schedule around all conflicts. The University has a policy on conflicts between course activities and examinations that covers courses offered by all the undergraduate colleges. Read the General Exam Policies on the Registrar's website.

  • How can I get involved in an engineering student organization?

    The College of Engineering has more than 30 recognized student organizations comprised of honors organizations, departmental and multi-disciplinary organizations, women, minority and professional organizations, and industry specific organizations.  View the complete list of engineering student organizations.

    There are various ways you can connect with student organizations.  You can contact the organizations' officers directly to express your interest or check their web site to see when their meeting times are held.  Each semester the college holds a welcome back/mini student org fair in the first few weeks of class and many organizations will also have a table at the Fall and Spring Engineering Career Fairs; both are great opportunities to talk with current members, learn about the exciting things going on in their organizations, and find out how you can get involved.  You can also seek out organizations and contact information on the University's on-line Student Org software, OrgSync.

  • What is the difference between a co-op and an internship?

    For our college, a co-op is a multi-semester or summer-fall or spring-summer experience. An internship is a single summer or single semester experience. The quality of the experience, and its correlation to the engineering curriculum, are key in evaluating whether the experience will qualify for registration with the college's co-op and internship program. A student should make an appointment before they start work with Kelli Delfosse at (319)335-5763 to discuss whether their position qualifies.

  • I have a problem with my professor. Who should I talk to?

    In cases where complaints do not involve alleged student academic misconduct, students with complaints against engineering faculty members should attempt to resolve the issue with the faculty member first.  Lacking a satisfactory outcome, the student should discuss the matter with the Departmental Executive Officer (DEO also called department chair) of the faculty member's department.

    Students who are uncomfortable dealing directly with a faculty member or a department chair may seek assistance from the engineering faculty ombudsperson when attempting to resolve a complaint related to an engineering course. Students taking non-engineering courses should seek assistance from the university ombudsperson. However, grievances generally can be satisfactorily resolved at the faculty or chair level. If students are not satisfied with the outcome of this procedure, they should discuss their complaints with the Dean of the College of Engineering.

  • I am thinking about studying abroad, what is my first step?

    The Study Abroad office, located in 1111 University Capitol Center, will be an integral part of your study abroad experience. Also, be sure to check out our Steps to Studying Abroad!

  • Why is my EFA not on my degree evaluation?

    You need to declare your elective focus area within your department.  EFA forms may be picked up in your department's office. Once your form has all the required signatures, the department will forward it to the Student Development Center staff.  It often takes a month or more to complete the process and get your degree evaluation updated. 

  • What is the EFA?

    The elective focus area stem provides a set amount of credit that students use to build strength in a technical focus area by completing a minor, earning a certificate, or pursuing a tailored program of study.

    Students choose Elective Focus Area (EFA) courses consistent with traditional career goals or nontraditional career goals. Their choice of degree plan and courses may affect the number and type of employment opportunities available to them after graduation. Program advisors help students develop coherent, well-focused plans that fit their goals.

    Students who pursue a focus area closely related to their major may replace up to 21 s.h. of traditional technical electives with course work toward a minor or certificate. Students who choose nontraditional focus areas work closely with an advisor to build a rigorous, well-focused program. They must define and justify their career goals; provide a detailed plan of study and obtain their B.S.E. program's approval for the plan before beginning the plan's course work; and complete the plan as approved.

    Each B.S.E. program is responsible for approving proposed plans of study, ensuring that the program's ABET accreditation criteria are met, and that students' choices are consistent with their career aspirations and with the college's educational mission.

    Guidelines for elective focus areas vary by program. For details, see Engineering Curriculum Guides on the college's web site.

  • Why is an engineering course in my course pool?

    If you have courses in your course pool that have not yet been approved, or if you have seminars that have not been completed, you should discuss these issues with your advisor and then submit the appropriate forms, with signatures, to the Student Development Center, 3124 SC. Note: Engineering students enrolled in the College after 2003 must have an EFA Plan of Study Form on file before engineering courses can be moved from the course pool into your degree plan.

  • Where do I find descriptions of classes I want to take?

    Most UI course descriptions are found in the University of Iowa Catalog or on ISIS. Descriptions of transfer courses can frequently be found by finding the catalog link on the transferring institution's web site. Questions regarding degree requirements and Elective Focus Areas (EFA) for a specific engineering program can be found online at the department websites or at the Student Development Center.

  • How do I know which courses to take and when?

    Each major's curriculum is available in the Student Development Center, 3124 Seamans Center, under the glass counter top, or online.  The curriculum is a guideline for students to follow but it is not the mandatory order in which some classes have to be taken. Students who wish to differ from the suggested curriculum should first speak with their advisor to make sure the appropriate courses can be completed on time.

  • I am a declared major: how do I sign up for advising?

    Two weeks before early registration, your advisor will put a sign up sheet on their door. It is necessary that declared majors make an appointment in order to receive registrations codes. Emailing your advisor is always a good idea if there is a conflict between your availability and the availability of your advisor. Students should contact their major's department if there is a problem with signing up for an appointment with an advisor. Students cannot make appointments with their assigned advisors in the Student Development Center.

  • What is my Major GPA? What are the differences between my Major GPA and my UI GPA?

    The College of Engineering does not calculate your exact Major GPA. The closest GPA to this is your GPA of courses applied towards your degree, which is found on page 1 of your degree evaluation.

    This is calculated from the grades in all courses you have taken for the BSE degree, i.e. calculus, social science/humanities, rhetoric, chemistry, and engineering courses. It does not include the courses in your course pool, i.e. Ballroom Dancing, Scuba Diving, Trigonometry, etc.

    • UI GPA includes only courses you have taken at the University of Iowa. 
    • Transfer GPA includes only courses you have taken outside of the University of Iowa.
    • Cumulative GPA includes all college course work you have taken (UI and transfer)
  • Can I take a class Pass/Fail?

    No coursework taken in the College of Engineering on the pass/nonpass option may be used to satisfy requirements for an engineering degree.

    A maximum of two courses taken pass/nonpass (P/N) may be applied toward the general education (humanities and social sciences) requirement. The P/N option may not be used for courses taken to satisfy the rhetoric requirement. Guided Independent Study courses taken for humanities or social science credit may not be taken P/N. 

    P/N registration must be approved by the student's advisor and the instructor of the course who must then sign the appropriate form (request the form at the SDC, 3124 SC).  The completed form must be submitted to the University of Iowa registration center by the student within the time period established by University policy (normally the first 10 days of a semester or the first two weeks of a summer session).  P/N registration may not be changed after the deadline for adding courses. 

    The mark of P (pass) is awarded where the final course grade earned was C-minus or higher; the mark of N (nonpass) is given for grades of D-plus or below; marks of P and N are not used in computing the grade-point average, and the mark of N does not count as earned credit.


  • How many hours can I register for each semester?

    College of Engineering students during early registration are allowed to register for the semester hours listed below without seeking special permission:
    Fall and spring sessions: maximum of 19 semester hours.
    Summer/winter 3 week sessions: maximum of 3 semester hours.
    Summer 6 week/8 week sessions: maximum of 6 semester hours.

  • What if a course I took isn't on my Degree Audit?

    Some courses need to be manually placed into your degree audit.  To determine if this is the case, you should do the following to guarantee that the course should be applied to your degree.

    1. If you are transferring a course from another institution you should check the following websites to see if the course was previously approved:

       If the courses is not listed on either of the above sites, you will need to obtain a course syllabus(preferred) or a course description and complete the Petition/Substitution form and obtain the appropriate signatures:

    • Core engineering courses (ENGR:XXXX/059:XXX/057:XXX) require a core course coordinator signature
    • General Education courses require the signature from the Student Development Center
    • Department required courses require the signature of academic advisor and department chair
    1. If the course was completed at the University of Iowa, please verify the following prior to contacting the Student Development Center to update the degree audit:
    • Elective Focus Area/Track form has been completed and listed on the form is the approved list of courses supplied by your department
    • General Education course meets the requirements approved by the College of Engineering
    • Course was approved by the department/college to substitute for a core engineering requirement
  • Should I register my internship or co-op on Hire-a-Hawk?

    Register your internship or co-op with Engineering Professional Development in 3124 Seamans Center, NOT Hireahawk. Make an appointment before you start your experience (call 319-335-5763 or stop by 3124 Seamans Center to schedule an appointment). You will want your transcript to reflect an engineering course number to increase your marketability to employers and validate the experience to licensing agencies. Use HireaHawk to search for jobs and internships, not to register your internship or co-op.

  • What is Hire-a-Hawk? Should I use it?

    Hire-a-Hawk is the University's on-line recruiting system. It is free and allows you to post your resume for employers to view. It also allows students to search for full-time jobs, internships and co-ops.  On-campus interviewing is managed through the HireaHawk system, so you definitely want to establish a profile and submit your resume! Note that your resume will be reviewed before being accepted, and you may be referred to Engineering Professionl Development in 3124 Seamans Center for a resume review before you can use the system. Note also that HireaHawk is only one way to find a job, co-op or internship....you should use multiple sources.

  • Where should I go to have my resume looked at?

    Engineering Professional Development, located in 3124 Seamans Center, is where engineering students should go to have their resumes reviewed and polished. Make an appointment by stopping by the reception desk in 3124 Seamans Center. EPD is the college's career services office.  We manage the co-op/intern program, and offer seminars and workshops on employers, interviewing skills, and networking. We also put on the two engineering career fairs each year, and offer individual coaching for engineering students interested in co-ops, internships, and after graduation employment.

  • Where is the form I need?

    Every form necessary in the college of engineering is located on our forms web site. If you still can't find what you are looking for please contact the Student Development Center. 

    Each form has a different deadline, some do not have deadlines at all. To understand which form has a deadline, go to important dates to remember.

  • I am an undeclared engineering major, who is my advisor?

    Undeclared engineering students are advised by the staff members in the Student Development Center.  If you have not yet declared an engineering major and have questions regarding registration, credits, or schedules, you will meet with Josh Atcher, Amy Brewster, or Nancy Schneider in the Student Development Center (3124 SC). During early registration undeclared engineering students will sign up in the SDC to make an appointment with either Amy, Nancy, or Josh to work out a schedule for the next semester.  Students must be authorized by an advisor before they are able to register for classes.