Professor Electrical and Computer Engineering
Departmental Executive Officer Electrical and Computer Engineering
Professor Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Professor Radiation Oncology
4016A Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Digital Image Analysis, Czech Technical University, 1984
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Tech. Cybern., Czech Technical University, 1979
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Image processing and analysis.
Present Research Interests:
Medical image analysis.
- Sonka, M., Hlavac, V. Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision - 3rd Ed., Thomson Engineering, Toronto, Canada, 850 p., 2007.
- Sonka, M., Fitzpatrick, J.M. - editors: Handbook of Medical Imaging Volume 2 - Medical Image Processing and Analysis, SPIE, 1250 p., 2000.
- Christensen, G.E., Sonka, M.: “Information Processing in Medical Imaging,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol. 3565, Springer, Berlin, 2005.
- Li, K., Wu, X., Chen, D.Z., Sonka, M.: “Optimal Surface Segmentation in Volumetric Images-A Graph-Theoretic Approach,”IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,Volume 28, Issue 1, Jan. 2006, 119-134.
- Zhang, H, Wahle, A, Johnson, R, Scholz, T, Sonka, M: 4D Cardiac MR Image Analysis: Left and Right Ventricular Morphology and Function, IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol. 29, p. 350-264, 2010.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
International Association for Pattern Recognition; Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers; Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Fellow, IEEE; Fellow, AIMBE; Associate Editor of "Medical Image Analysis"; Editorial board member of International Journal of Cardiac Imaging.