About Engineering Computer Services (ECS)
Location and Phone: Engineering Computer Services, 1256 SC, College of Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, 319-335-5751, fax 319-384-0549; building locator
Office Hours: 8:00 am-noon, 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday
Staff in Office: Danny Tang, Sheila Britton, Christopher Fomon, Jim Cramer, student assistants
Responsibilities: Change account passwords; provide initial account information; manage building and room access requests; answer account and policy questions
Location and Phone: 1253 SC, 319-335-5055
Office Hours: 8:00 am-8:00 pm Monday-Thursday; 8:00 am-5:00 pm Friday
Staff in Office: Sarah Williams, student consultants
Responsibilities: Answer student, staff, and faculty computing questions. Troubleshoot and solve hardware and software problems. Keep the Elder and Hering lab equipment clean and the printers stocked with paper.
email@example.com Email your questions to the ECS consultant.
firstname.lastname@example.org Have a suggestion? Please share it with us.
email@example.com Here's how to contact the webmaster or click on this link.
firstname.lastname@example.org For help with email issues using an engineering email address.
email@example.com For help with networking issues in the college.
- Provides and manages a reliable, effective, and secure computing environment including computers, the underlying network, and software.
- Configures, installs, and maintains computers in student laboratories, and staff and faculty computers.
- Installs, updates, and manages the Linux and Windows software that runs on those computers.
- Prepares for disaster recovery; provides system backup and data archiving.
- Installs, manages, and enhances the network that allows users to save and copy files, print, connect to the Internet, send and receive email, and connect a portable computer from public spaces in the Seamans Center.
- Manages the College of Engineering web server, lab and departmental printers, the security system in the labs, design and administration of data bases used throughout the college, and file backup service.
To provide a secure, reliable, and innovative computing environment that facilitates, supports, and enhances the mission of the College of Engineering.
Danny Tang - Director, Engineering Technology Centers
Sheila Britton - Departmental administrator
Jim Cramer - Data base and applications developer
Bill Easton - Engineering College Webmaster
Zach Bluvstein - Research Systems Administrator
Christopher Fomon - Software and Infrastructure Services
David Funk - Unix and Network administrator
Blake Rupe - Digital Content and Communications
Matt McLaughlin - Director of Engineering Computer Services
Daniel Mentzer - Windows and applications administrator
Sarah Williams - Manager, Engineering Help Desk
The part-time staff consists of consultants and office assistants. In addition to answering questions from students, staff, and faculty, the consultants keep the computer labs clean, the printers filled with paper, and report system malfunctions. The office assistants work in the main office answering questions and creating electronic information slides.
This is a PDF version [353KB] of the 3-fold ECS brochure that briefly describes ECS duties, equipment, and staff. Paper copies are available in the ECS office, 1256 SC.