Help and Support: On-line help is available and the specific help web sites are directly linked to the MATLAB program. Within MATLAB, there is also an extensive Help Menu that explains all the functions, provides examples, and contains a sample workshop. To run the demo from Windows or Linux, select Help | Demos.
MathWorks Documentation Center
MATLAB Digest is a quarterly electronic newsletter published by The Mathworks with practical tips and examples. Each issue has articles on technical issues; product and services; and training and events.
On-line MATLAB training and videos and webinars.
Millions of engineers and scientists worldwide use MATLAB® to analyze and design the systems and products transforming our world. MATLAB is in automobile active safety systems, interplanetary spacecraft, health monitoring devices, smart power grids, and LTE cellular networks. It is used for machine learning, signal processing, image processing, computer vision, communications, computational finance, control design, robotics, and much more.The MATLAB platform is optimized for solving engineering and scientific problems. The matrix-based MATLAB language is the world’s most natural way to express computational mathematics. Built-in graphics make it easy to visualize and gain insights from data. A vast library of prebuilt toolboxes lets you get started right away with algorithms essential to your domain. The desktop environment invites experimentation, exploration, and discovery. These MATLAB tools and capabilities are all rigorously tested and designed to work together
The following MATLAB toolboxes are available for all users:
- Bioinformatics Toolbox
- Communications System Toolbox
- Computer Vision Toolbox
- Control System Toolbox
- DSP System Toolbox
- Data Acquisition Toolbox
- Database Toolbox
- Econometrics Toolbox
- Embedded Coder
- Financial Toolbox
- Fixed-point Designer
- Fuzzy Login Toolbox
- Global Optimization Toolbox
- Image Acquisition Toolbox
- Image Processing Toolbox
- Instrument Control Toolbox
- MATLAB Builder EX
- MATLAB Builder JA
- MATLAB Builder NE
- MATLAB Coder
- MATLAB Compiler
- MATLAB Report Generator
- Mapping Toolbox
- Neural Network Toolbox
- Optimization Toolbox
- Parallel Computing Toolbox
- Partial Differential Equation Toolbox
- RF Toolbox
- Robust Control Toolbox
- Signal Processing Toolbox
- Simulink3D Animation
- Simulink Coder
- Simulink Control Design
- Simulink Design Optimization
- Spreadsheet Link EX
- Statistics Toolbox
- Symbolic Math Toolbox
- Wavelet Toolbox
- Xilinx System Generator
What It Does
The basic element of MATLAB is the array. The lack of scalar notation within the array allows for efficient solutions to complex technical and mathematical problems.
How It Is Used
MATLAB has five main areas that are key to its system. The Development Environment is a set of tools that help facilitate the MATLAB functions. The MATLAB Mathematical Function Library consists of algorithms such as sine, cosine, sum, and complex algorithms for technical computation. The MATLAB Language is the array/matrix language that allows for complex data structures and input/output diagrams to be created. The Graphics area contains the facilities needed to display vectors, graphs, as well as two- and three-dimensional data visualization. The MATLAB Application Program Interface has facilities needed to write C code or other programs that can interact with MATLAB.
From a Linux workstation, type matlab from a shell prompt. On a Windows computer go to Start | All Programs | MATLAB . Files can be saved in your own home directory or within MATLAB. The files can also be uploaded and sent via sftp.
MATLAB License Information
As of September 2011 The Mathworks allows installation of MATLAB only on University-owned computers. Other license information pertinent to your use of MATLAB follows:
- Use restricted to University of Iowa faculty, staff and students.
- Use restricted to academic, academic research and administrative use.
- Use restricted to on campus use or UI owned system.
- One license = one system install.
- Users may not share it or copy the license.
- Use of the software is limited to current student, faculty or staff at the University of Iowa.
- Users must comply with the End User License Agreement.
- No commercial use allowed.
- Licensee may not reverse engineer, decompile the software. Licensee may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative works based upon the software.
- The license is perpetual, but to continue to get upgrades and support you must purchase a renewal annually.
- No file sharing or provide access to the software without appropriate licensure.
Use this form to request that MATLAB be installed on a university-owned computer.