Learn how to work safely with the equipment in the shop.
Studio Art Safety Procedures (Requires ICON login). These training modules were prepared by the Environmental Health & Safety unit at the UI. The Jewelry and Metalsmithing unit covers safety procedures for using hand tools, grinders, sanders, band saw, lathes and mills, drill presses, soldering, rolling mills, shears, and more.
The following video tutorials were prepared by the staff of the Engineering Electronics Shop.
- Strain Gauge Installation (Part 1)
- Strain Gauge Installation (Part 2)
- Machine Shop tips: video 1 Layout techniques; using a drill press; 39:09
- Machine Shop tips: video 2 Drill and tap; drill press limitations; band saw; using the drill press vise; 45:53
- Machine Shop tips: video 3 Belt sander; small belt sander configurations; grinder operation and materials; deburring and buffing; finishing techniques 25:23
Other training videos: