We not only encourage international experiences in the College of Engineering, we strive to help interested students go wherever they may desire. Below are the steps to studying abroad in the College of Engineering. Please note the guidelines below regarding course equivalencies.
- Engineering courses must be taken in English or a language familiar to the student.
- Start preparing as soon as possible. It generally takes 2-3 months to complete the preparation process.
- Watch your email, opportunities/information sessions always appear in your email.
Simple Steps to Study Abroad
Decide when you would like to go abroad. Review your curriculum guide to determine the best option, semester, summer or winter session. You may choose to meet with an academic adviser to discuss the ideal time to be abroad. Consider the following:
- What courses would you want to complete (general education, Elective Focus Area, Engineering required courses)
- When are your degree courses offered? Every semester? Once a year?
Meet with the Office of Study Abroad in University Capital Centre (In the Old Capital Mall); research locations of abroad experience.
- Obtain a website address of the location of course descriptions and syllabus
- Determine the equivalencies of semester hours from abroad institution to the University of Iowa
Meet with Megan Allen about the transfer equivalencies.
- A good place to start is the Study Abroad Course Equivalency below.
4. Fill out and submit the necessary paperwork through the Office for Study Abroad and College of Engineering
5. Go abroad and have a blast!
It is never too early to start thinking about preparing for an international experience. It will take time to establish the where, when, what, and how of traveling abroad. It also will take time to obtain required documents, complete necessary paperwork, and make arrangements for the departure and return. The following steps are important part of planning your study abroad experience. If you are unsure of where you would like to study, check out the Study Abroad Course Equivalencies below to see where other students have studied in the recent past.
Study Abroad Course Listings/Equivalencies
To make your visit to another institution as smooth as possible, make sure that the courses you want to take will be transferable to the University of Iowa. To look at a current listing of courses previously approved for Engineering students please use the following tool:
If you know what institution you are going to, please see what courses have previously transferred by selecting the institution below.