FTC-Iowa: Qualifier Tournaments
For the 2013/2014 FTC Season and fulfill the criteria for the many team grants, FTC-Iowa teams must participate in qualifying tournaments.
Qualifier Assignments are now posted.
Wonder what events the teams are attending? Check out the Qualifier Assignments! Want to participate in one of our qualifiers, at the bottom of this page is a link to register for remaining spots.
What happened at the Qualifier tournaments?
Check out the Qualifier Summary Page.
What is a "Qualifier Tournament"?
Qualifier tournaments are small tournaments hosted throughout Iowa and in Nebraska. Teams compete in qualifier tournaments in order to advance to the FTC-Iowa Championship.
Is there a maximum of number of qualifiers for each team?
Teams must participate in one (1) qualifier. When teams register for qualifier tournaments, they can indicate if they want to compete in one or two qualifiers. At this time, two qualifiers is the maximum amount for each team.
What is a typical schedule for a qualifier tournament?
Although the schedules of the qualifiers may change based on venue restrictions and robot performance, qualifiers follow the same standard schedule.
Is registering for qualifiers on a first-come/first-serve basis?
Who and how many teams will advance from the qualifier tournaments?
The criteria for advancement is published in the Game Manual. Each qualifier will advance 3 or 4 teams. We encourage teams to visit the list of teams that have Advanced to the FTC-Iowa Championship.
What is the capacity of each qualifier?
Each qualifier will have a capacity of 24 teams.
My team is not from Iowa. Can we still register and compete at an FTC-Iowa qualifier tournament?
Do qualifier tournaments have a registration fee? If so, how much and how can it be paid?
Yes, each qualifier has a registration fee of $150/team. Example: If your school/organization has two teams and they attend two qualifiers, the fee would be $600 ($150 x 2 teams x 2 qualfiers). Credit card payment (Visa or Master Card) is required at the time of registration. We will send receipts when the tournament assignments have been made.
Note: we will not longer be able to send out invoices to FTC teams.
If you received a Rockwell Collins or John Deere grant - those grants are applied to either the FIRST registration fee (that goes to FIRST Headquarters) or to the materials. Qualifier registration fees stay in Iowa and are used for venue rental costs, volunteer food expenses, field costs, and team trophy expenses. Rockwell Collins/John Deere grants do not cover these expenses.
What kind of information does the Qualifier Registration Form ask?
If you have multiple teams, you must complete the form one for each team.
- Number of tournaments - either one or two.
- Tournament preferences - teams must indicate no less than 4 events they would be willing to attend. If your team wants to participate in two tournaments, you must indicate than 6 and no more than 8 tournaments.
- Team number/team name/school organization
- Coach's name/email/cell number
Team Information, including:
- Does your team have a cheer/chant? If so, what is it?
- What are your team colors?
- How did your team come up with the team name?
- What is your team's favorite snack?
- What is something unique about your team?
Teams will not be able to go back in and edit the information on the Qualifier Registration Form.
Its easier for me to email my teams' preferences. Can I do that?
No. All teams must use the Qualifying Registration System. Teams who email preferences and/or modifications will not be honored.
Once we submit our preferences, and are assigned to an event, can our team change it?
No. It takes a significant amount of time and work to make the qualifier assignments. Once they are set, they cannot be modified. Changes/edits are not possible. Please make sure you double check and are ok with the qualifier(s) you indicate on the form.
What happens if my team registers, is assigned to a tournament, but does not attend/compete?
It takes a lot of time and work to host a qualifier tournament. If a team registers, is assigned to a qualifier but does not attend (due to cold feet), they could potentially void any grant funding they received for their team. Also, qualifier registration fees are non-refundable. Please keep in mind that teams are never 100% ready for a competition, and that is OK. There are teams who are willing and able to help others to get on their feet -- that's what Gracious Professionalism is all about!
We live in Iowa and Iowa has winter weather, so please review the Cancellation Policy.
What are the dates and locations of the FTC-Iowa Qualifier Tournaments?
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 - West Des Moines Qualifier, 7am-6pm, (625 S. 35th Street, West Des Moines) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 - Linn-Mar Qualifier, 7am-6pm, (3111 10th Street, Marion) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 - Mount Vernon Qualifier, 7am-6pm (731 Palisades Rd., Mt. Vernon, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 - John Deere Financial Qualifier, 7am-6pm (6400 NW 86th Street, Johnston, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013 - East Buchanan Qualifier, 7am-6pm (414 5th Street North, Winthrop) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013 - Central College Qualifier, Pella, Iowa, 7am-6pm (1208 Independence, Pella, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 - Southwest Valley Qualifier, 7am-6pm (904 8th Street, Corning, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 - Sergeant Bluff Robotics Club Qualifier, 7am-6pm (208 Port Neal Road, Sergeant Bluff, Iowa) -Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 - Kennedy Qualifier, 7am-6pm (4801 Golf Street NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 - Cedar Falls Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Peet Jr. High, 525 E. Seerley Blvd, Cedar Falls, Iowa) - Check out the Qualifier Summary Page
- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 - Nebraska FTC Qualifier, NE, 7am-6pm (Dawes Middle School, 5130 Colfax Ave., Lincoln, NE) - FULL
- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 - Hills FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Arnold Net Center, 626 Indian Hills Drive, Ottumwa, Iowa) - FULL
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 - Quad Cities FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (604 Belmont Rd., Riverdale, Iowa) - FULL
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 - Bobcat FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Central Luthern School, 310 3rd Street West, Newhall, Iowa) - FULL
If a team registers for two qualifiers and earns a bid to the FTC-Iowa Championship from the first one, the team still must attend the second qualifier. If a team does not attend the second qualifier, they will forfeit their bid to the Iowa Championship. Qualifier Tournament hosts count on having the registered teams attend.
Where can we register?
Teams must register through FTC-Iowa Qualifier Registration Form.
Other helpful links:
Team Videos - For Judges
This season, we are encouraging teams to submit a video for the judges to view prior to the qualifier they attend. This is not required, but encouraged. For more inforamation about the judges video requirements, including how to submit it, please view the Judges Video page.