Volunteers are the key to making FIRST Tech Challenge a successful and exciting program for coaches, students, and everyone involved.
This Volunteer section of our website is meant to support the volunteers who make FIRST events possible. Below you will find information and resources that will keep you informed, support your efforts, and help you get the most out of your volunteer experience with FIRST.
Requirements and roles
FTC-Iowa events require a large pool of volunteers with all levels of experience. A technical background is not required.
All volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
For a description of the Volunteer Roles, see page 9 of the Volunteer Handbook.
How do I sign up to be a volunteer?
Please complete the online Volunteer Registration form.
Are there materials I can review before I decide to be a volunteer?
Yes! We encourage volunteers to check out the FIRST Volunteer Handbook and review the FIRST Volunteer Standard of Conduct. Please keep in mind, the Handbook and the Standard of Conduct are for all FIRST programs, not just FTC. You can also check out the FIRST Volunteer page. Also, please remember that volunteers need to show Gracious Professionalism.
What types of events need volunteers?
The FTC program in Iowa has three levels of competition -- the Qualifier Tournaments, the Championship Tournament and the Super Regional Championship. Teams must compete in the Qualfier Tournaments to qualify to attend in the FTC-Iowa Championship tournament. Teams must compete at a Championship tournament to qualifier for the Super Regional Championship. We need volunteers for all of these events.
How do I prepare for volunteering at an event?
Depending on your role, you may need to do some pre-event training, which may include reviewing a Training Manual. There are a few roles (e.g., referees, judges, lead inspectors, field tech advisors, etc.) that require pre-event training and certification by test. Other roles (judges, referees, inspectors, etc.) require pre-event training calls.
What do I need to bring to an event?
Anyone who attend a FIRST event are encouraged to dress comfortably and wear closed-toe shoes. All volunteers will be given an event t-shirt to wear. In addition, we do encourage volunteers to bring their own safety glasses.
What events need volunteers?
Volunteers are an integral piece to the FTC-Iowa events. Volunteers will impact the lives of many FTC students. On the Volunteer Registration form, we ask you to indicate the events in which you are interested in volunteering. Please keep in mind, we are seeking volunteers for the following event:
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 - West Des Moines Qualifier, 7am-6pm, (625 S. 35th Street, West Des Moines)
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 - Linn-Mar Qualifier, 7am-6pm, (3111 10th Street, Marion)
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 - Mount Vernon Qualifier, 7am-6pm (exact location tbd)
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013 - John Deere Financial Qualifier, 7am-6pm (6400 NW 86th Street, Johnston, Iowa)
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013 - East Buchanan Qualifier, 7am-6pm (414 5th Street North, Winthrop)
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013 - Central College Qualifier, Pella, Iowa, 7am-6pm
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 - Southwest Valley Qualifier, 7am-6pm (904 8th Street, Corning, Iowa)
- Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 - Sergeant Bluff Robotics Club Qualifier, 7am-6pm (208 Port Neal Road, Sergeant Bluff, Iowa)
- Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 - Kennedy Qualifier, 7am-6pm (4801 Golf Street NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 - Cedar Falls Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Peet Jr. High, 525 E. Seerley Blvd, Cedar Falls, Iowa)
- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 - Nebraska FTC Qualifier, NE, 7am-6pm (exact location tbd)
- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 - Hills FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Hellyer Center, 626 Indian Hills Drive, Ottumwa, Iowa)
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 - Quad Cities FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (604 Belmont Rd., Riverdale, Iowa)
- Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 - Bobcat FTC Qualifier, 7am-6pm (Central Luthern School, 310 3rd Street West, Newhall, Iowa)
- Friday & Saturday, Feb. 21 & 22, 2014 - FTC Iowa Championship in Iowa City
- Thursday, Friday & Saturday, April 3-5, 2014 - FTC Super Regional Championship in Iowa City
Volunteer Roles Needed for FTC Iowa Championship
We are seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Volunteer Registration Desk
- Team Check-In Desk
- Field Tech Advisor Assistant - Pre-event training is required
- Pit Manager
- Practice Field Manager
- Referee - Pre-event training is required
- Field Attendant/Reset
- Security & Safety Glasses Police
- Inspection Queuer
- Hardware Inspection
- Software Inspection
- Judge - Pre-event training is required
- Match Observer
- Judge Assistant
- Instant Messaging Manager
If you'd like to volunteer, complete the Volunteer Registration form.