Volunteers are the key to making FIRST Tech Challenge a successful and exciting program for coaches, students, and everyone involved.
To sign-up for the FTC-Iowa Championship, on Friday, Feb. 21 & Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014 at the Iowa Memorial Union, Iowa City, please complete the Volunteer form for the FTC-Iowa Championship.
This Volunteer section of our website is meant to support the volunteers who make FIRST events possible. Below you will find information and resources that will keep you informed, support your efforts, and help you get the most out of your volunteer experience with FIRST.
Requirements and roles
FTC-Iowa events require a large pool of volunteers with all levels of experience. A technical background is not required.
All volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
For a description of the Volunteer Roles, see page 9 of the Volunteer Handbook.
How do I sign up to be a volunteer?
Please complete the online Championship Volunteer Registration form.
Are there materials I can review before I decide to be a volunteer?
Yes! We encourage volunteers to check out the FIRST Volunteer Handbook and review the FIRST Volunteer Standard of Conduct. Please keep in mind, the Handbook and the Standard of Conduct are for all FIRST programs, not just FTC. You can also check out the FIRST Volunteer page. Also, please remember that volunteers need to show Gracious Professionalism.
What types of events need volunteers?
The FTC program in Iowa has two levels of competition -- the Qualifier Tournaments and the Championship Tournament. Teams must compete in the Qualfier Tournaments to qualify to attend in the FTC-Iowa Championship tournament. We need volunteers for all of these events.
How do I prepare for volunteering at an event?
Depending on your role, you may need to do some pre-event training, which may include reviewing a Training Manual. There are a few roles (e.g., referees, judges, lead inspectors, field tech advisors, etc.) that require pre-event training and certification by test. Other roles (judges, referees, inspectors, etc.) require pre-event training calls.
What do I need to bring to an event?
Anyone who attend a FIRST event are encouraged to dress comfortably and wear closed-toe shoes. All volunteers will be given an event t-shirt to wear. In addition, we do encourage volunteers to bring their own safety glasses.
Where do I sign up?
Volunteers are an integral piece to the FTC-Iowa events. Volunteers will impact the lives of many FTC students. On the Volunteer Registration form, we ask you to indicate the events in which you are interested in volunteering. Please keep in mind, we are seeking volunteers for the following event:
- Feb. 21 & 22, 2013 -- Iowa City (Volunteer form for FTC-Iowa Championship)
Volunteer Roles Needed for FTC Iowa Championship
The FTC-Iowa Championship will be held Friday, February 21 & Saturday, February 22, 2014 at the Iowa Memorial Union (135 N. Madison Street) in Iowa City.
We are seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Volunteer Registration Desk (Friday and/or Saturday)
- Team Check-In Desk (Friday and/or Saturday)
- Field Tech Advisor Assistant - Pre-event training is required (Commitment is Friday & Saturday)
- Pit Manager - (Friday and/or Saturday)
- Practice Field Manager (Friday)
- Referee - Pre-event training is required (Saturday)
- Security & Safety Glasses Police (Saturday)
- Inspection Queuer (Friday)
- Hardware Inspection (Friday)
- Software Inspection (Friday)
- Judge - Pre-event training is required (Commitment is Friday & Saturday)
- Match Observer (Saturday)
- Judge Assistant (Friday and/or Saturday)
- Photographer (Friday and/or Saturday)
- Instant Messaging Manager (Friday and/or Saturday)
Feb. 21 & 22, 2014 -- Iowa City (Volunteer form for the FTC-Iowa Championship)