What is a GEC?

The general education component stem promotes understanding of and appreciation for society and culture through course work in the humanities and social sciences.

Students earn 15 s.h. in humanities and social sciences courses chosen from approved departments and programs; at least 3 s.h. must be earned in courses that the College of Engineering has designated as humanities courses, and at least 3 s.h. must be earned in courses that the college has designated as social sciences courses. To ensure depth, students should earn at least 6 s.h. of general education credit in upper-level courses, with at least one upper-level course taken in the same department as a lower-level course the student already has completed. Upper-level courses include those with a 3000+ course number.  Individual B.S.E. programs may require further depth in one area and may include general education requirements in a student's elective focus area.

Most general education component courses are offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), but the College of Engineering defines the humanities and social sciences areas differently than CLAS does. See General Education Component on the College of Engineering web site for departments and programs that offer approved humanities and social sciences courses.

Courses that are primarily mathematical or scientific in nature and those designed specifically to develop art, music, or physical education skills are not accepted as social sciences or humanities electives.

Credit may be earned by examination; see "Undergraduate Academic Rules and Procedures"/"Academic Standards"/"Credit by Examination" later in this section.

Humanities and social sciences course work transferred to the University of Iowa by students with A.A. degrees who enter the College of Engineering directly from two-year schools is evaluated on the same basis as similar course work transferred by other students entering the college without a B.A. or B.S.

Students who enter the College of Engineering with a B.A. or B.S. are considered to have satisfied the general education component requirement.

Students who enroll in a combined degree program in the College of Engineering and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the Tippie College of Business are considered to have satisfied the College of Engineering's general education requirement once they have completed all requirements for the liberal arts and sciences or business degree.