- New Annex
- College A-Z
FTC-Iowa: League Information
For the 2015-2016 FTC Season, Iowa will implement League Play
Interested in learning more about League Play?
View the League Presentation
- Leagues - about 10-12 teams within 100 mile radius
- Meets - events in which league teams compete in 5 matches. Meets include inspections (hardware, software and field) and matches.
- League Championship Event - Each team will participate in a League Championship. Very similiar to what was formerly known as qualifiers.
- "Wild Card Championship" - The last tournament of the season before the FTC-Iowa Championship. Eligibility for the event is determined based on participation in the League Championship Events.
How do teams sign up for leagues?
Teams must register with FIRST* no later than Sept. 15, 2015. In addition, beginning July 1, teams may also start to register with FTC-Iowa (please have your credit card handy.) Once teams register, they are entered in a database and using an algorithem, leagues will be formed based on team locations. Once placed in a league, teams will not be able to switch to a different league. League assignments will change every FTC Season as more schools add FTC teams.
*According to the FIRST Youth Protection Program, each team must have at least two adult (over the age of 18) coaches. FIRST will perform a background check on those registered as coaches.*
How big will leagues be? How far will teams be in each league?
Between 10-12 teams will make a league. The goal is to have the furthest distance for teams within the leagues will be 100 miles. The boundries of the leagues will be within Iowa - teams from outside-of-Iowa will not be assigned to an Iowa league.
After leagues are established, a league administrator will be determined. (First preference will go to teams who volunteer for this role.) League administrators are responsible for communication with FTC-Iowa and help arrange dates/locations of meets. They do not need to host all of the meet events and will not be required to recruit or train all of the volunteers.
Leagues tournament events = Meets
Each league will be responsible for hosting at least three meet events for their teams. Meet events consist of inspections and matches. At each meet, teams will compete in 5 matches. Overall, teams will compete in 15 matches (3 meets * 5 matches/meet). Meets will be approximately 5 hours in length and can be held any day of the week - not just Saturday!
League events will need to have pits, a practice field and one competition field.
All teams will compete in a League Championship. The dates/locations of these are being determined. Each League Championship will consist of: an Opening Ceremony; HW, SW, and Field Inspections; Judging Interviews; Qualification Matches (between 5-7 per team); Alliance Selection; Elimination Matches and an Awards Ceremony.
Five teams from each League Championship will advance to the FTC-Iowa Championship.
Volunteer requirement for Meets
League teams will be responsible for recruting volunteers for the meets. It is highly recommended that volunteers are from local businesses, non-profits, and city government organizations.
Needed positions include: Inspectors (3 hardware & 3 software); Field Tech Advisor + 2 assistants; Head Referee + 3 referees;1 Field Control System Operator; 2 Field Reseters; 1 Scorekeeper; 2 Queuers; 1 Emcee; various people to help with set-up & tear-down.
Training for volunteers will occur throughout the season.
Cost to Teams
Beginning, July 1, 2015, teams are able to register with FTC-Iowa and pay a $200 fee. This will cover the meets as well as the League Championship. If teams advance from the League Championship, they will be responsible for paying an additional registration fee for the additional tournaments.
Costs for additional tournaments:
- FTC-Iowa Championship: $275 - a seperate registration is required.
- FTC North Super Regional: $500 - a seperate registration is required.
- FTC World Championship: $1,000 - a seperate registration is required.
Every team will compete in a League Championship - which is similiar to a Qualifier Tournament. From the League Championship, teams will advance to the FTC-Iowa Championship, which will be a 36 or 48 team tournament located in the Iowa City/Coralville area.
League Calendar of Events
- Sept. 12, 2015 - FTC-Iowa Kick-Off Celebration at Center Point Urbana High School, Center Point.
- Sept. 15, 2015 - All FTC teams in Iowa must be registered by this date.
- Around Sept. 19, 2015 - Leagues will be announced and league administrators will be notified.
- Nov. 2015 - Jan. 2016 - Meets. Teams in the leagues determine the dates/loations of the meets. Three meets per team during these dates.
- Jan. 2016 - Feb. 2016 - League Championship. Two leagues will participate in a League Championship. Some of the dates/locations have already been determined.
- March 4-5, 2016 - FTC-Iowa Championship, for those teams who advance from the League Championship.