Fall 2014 Support of Writing-Intensive Engineering Courses
In Fall 2014, The Hanson Center for Technical Communication (HCTC) will grade writing projects in the following courses: Statics and Process Calculations. Note: all engineering undergraduates are welcome to bring their writing to the Center, no matter what course it's written for.
APA Style Guide ( Purdue OWL )
For citation guidelines, the HCTC recommends that students refer to the Purdue Online Writing Lab. This is a reliable resource that is updated regularly to adhere to current APA style standards. Giving credit where credit is due demonstrates your integrity as an engineer.
- Writing Assignment ( PDF )
- Writing Evaluation Sheet ( PDF )
- Petroski, H. - "Failure is Always an Option" - ( PDF )
- Martin, R. - Tacoma Narrows Failure - ( PDF )
- Slides for Hanson CTC class visit - 9/24/14, 9/29/14 ( PowerPoint )
- Engineering Case Studies Online
- Idiot's Guide to Plagiarism ( PowerPoint )
- Lab Report Guidelines ( PDF )
Getting an Appointment
Signing up for a writing appointment is easy. Sign-up sheets are posted on the door of room 2224 SC, in the Student Commons area. Appointments are available Monday-Friday: 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sunday and weeknight hours: to be announced.