223C Stanley Hydraulics Laboratory
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 1980.
M.S.E., Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 1977.
B.S.E., (summa cum laude) Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, 1975.
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Computational and experimental fluid dynamics and uncertainty analysis; ship hydrodynamics; viscous flow; free surface waves and turbulence; propulsors and cavitation; potential flow; resistance and propulsion; and ship and platform motions and maneuvering.
Present Research Interests:
6DOF Viscous Ship Hydrodynamics; High Performance, Multi-Criteria CFD-Based Optimization for Ship Design; Towing Tank Maneuvering Test Flow-Map Measurement System; Integration of Simulation Technology Into Undergraduate Engineering Courses and Laboratories.
- Stern, F., Wilson, R.V., Coleman, H., and Patterson, E., Comprehensive Approach to Verification and Validation of CFD Simulations-Part 1: Methology and Procedures, ASME J. Fluids Eng, Vol. 123, Issue 4, December 2001, pp. 793-802.
- Gui, L., Longo, L., Metcal, B., Shao, J., and Stern, F., Forces, Moment, and Wave Pattern for Naval Combatant in Regular Head Waves-Part 2: Measurement Results and Discussions, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 32, Issue 1, 2002, pp. 27-36.
- Rhee, S.H., and Stern, F., RANS Modeling of Spilling Breaking Waves, ASME J. Fluids Eng., Vol. 124, No. 2, 2002, pp. 424-432.
- Simonsen, C., and Stern, F., Verification and Validation of RANS Maneuvering Simulation of Esso Osaka: Effects of Drift, Rudder Angle, and Propeller on Forces and Moments, Computers & Fluids, 32, 2003, pp. 1325-1356.
- Longo, J., Gui, L., and Stern, F., Ship Velocity Fields, Advances in Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 9, PIV and Water Waves, invited article 2004.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Fellow; American Society of Engineering Education, Member; Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Member; 24th International Towing Tank Conference, Secretary Maneuvering Committee.