1139 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa 2006
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa 2003
B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa 2001
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Numerical modeling of thermal-fluid systems; heat transfer & thermodynamics; fluid mechanics
- A. Goodwin, M.S. Politano, J.W. Garvin, J. Nestler, D. Hay, J.J. Anderson, L.J. Weber, E. Dimperio, D. Smith, M. Timko, "Fish navigation of large dams emerges from their modulation of flow field experience," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 111, n14, pp. 5277-5282, February 2014 .
- J.W. Garvin, O. Kureksiz, P.J. Breczinski, M.K. Garvin , "A method for an image-analysis-based computational fluid dynamics simulation of moving
- fish," Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 185-198, February 2012.
- Y. Yang, J.W. Garvin, and H.S. Udaykumar, "Sharp interface numerical simulation of directional solidification of binary alloy in the presence of a ceramic particle," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol 51, no. 1-2, pp. 155-168, Jan 2008.
- J.W. Garvin, Y. Yang, and H.S. Udaykumar, "Multiscale modeling applied to particle-solidification front dynamics, part I: Methodology," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 50, no. 15-16, pp. 2952-2968, July 2007.
- J. W. Garvin and H.S. Udaykumar, "Particle-solidification front dynamics using a fully coupled approach, part I: methodology," Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 252, no. 1-3, pp. 451-466, May 2003.