Mechanical Engineering Mission Statements
Mission Statement—Mechanical & Industrial
(Approved by the faculty in Fall 2011)
The mission of the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is to provide an education that builds within students a solid foundation in mechanical and industrial engineering principles, expands the reasoning, communication and problem solving abilities of students, and prepares graduates who have the motivation and ability for lifelong growth in their professional careers; and to develop and maintain a world-class research program in selected focus areas within mechanical and industrial engineering that complements the educational mission and addresses the evolving needs of industry and society.
Mission Statement—College of Engineering
The College of Engineering serves the state, the nation, and the world by graduating talented, broadly educated engineers, conducting high quality research, developing breakthrough technologies, and disseminating and preserving technical knowledge.
To be recognized internationally for engineering education and research, and for leadership to the profession.
The following strategic characteristics and aspirations will enable the College to realize its vision:
- Small-college atmosphere that facilitates personal commitment to the educational success of students in a comprehensive university
- Undergraduate curricula that emphasize breadth and depth of education, which link to areas contiguous to engineering
- Graduate education that prepares students for research and advanced problem solving needed to address complex engineering problems
- Internationally recognized research programs in each department with strong support from professional constituencies
- Demonstrable leadership and service in advancing engineering professionalism to meet society’s needs
- Educational and research partnerships with health sciences, business, and other UI colleges, and with select agencies, universities, and industries
- Highly successful alumni who contribute to the profession in the global society
Mission Statement—The University of Iowa
In pursuing its missions of teaching, research, and service, the University seeks to advance scholarly and creative endeavor through leading-edge research and artistic production; to use this research and creativity to enhance undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, health care, and other services provided to the people of Iowa, the nation, and the world; and to educate students for success and personal fulfillment in a diverse world.