- New Annex
- College A-Z
Engineering Research Open House Scheduled April 19
Monday, April 16, 2007
The College of Engineering will host its fifth Annual Research Open House from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Thursday, April 19 at the Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences. Designed to encourage interdisciplinary research among students, faculty and staff, it is free and open to the public.
The event will showcase, celebrate, and promote research activities, capabilities, and accomplishments of the College of Engineering's faculty, students, and staff. It will also provide opportunities for graduate and undergraduate recruitment, development of new industrial contacts, and better information for the university and the local community about the research capabilities of the college.
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Welcome Area and Information Desk, Lobby, south entrance to Seamans Center.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Research Poster Viewing, throughout Seamans Center (SC).
- 9 to 10 a.m. Student Seminar, "CV/Resumes and the Professional Search Process,"
Room 3111 SC, Phil Jordan, Professional Development, College of Engineering.
- 10:30 to 11:20 a.m. Student Seminar for those interested in graduate school, Rockwell Collins Conference Room, Room 3111 SC, Allan Guymon, chemical engineering.
- 10:30 to 11:20 a.m. Student Seminar, "Teamwork: Writing as a Successful Team,"
Room 3210 SC, Mark Isham, Department of English.
- 10 to 11 a.m. Faculty & Student Seminar: "Finder, Minder & Grinder: The Charges & Rebuttal," Room 3220 SC, Jonathan Gilbert, John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center.
- 4:30 p.m. Paul D. Scholz Symposium on Technology and its Role in Society, "Directions and Horizons: The Future of Biotechnology and Healthcare," Second Floor Ballroom of the Iowa Memorial Union. The featured speakers are Dr. John Haller, program director, Division of Applied Science and Technology, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering; and Dr. Geoffrey McLennan, professor in the University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine Department of Internal Medicine and the UI College of Engineering Department of Biomedical Engineering.
Various departments and research programs participating in the open house are:
- Biomedical Engineering, Fourth Floor, 4500 Hallway.
- Biomedical Imaging Group, Second Floor Commons.
- Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Second Floor Lobby.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering, Second Floor Lobby.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering, Fourth Floor, 4500 Hallway.
- Industrial Engineering, Second Floor Lobby.
- Mechanical Engineering, Second Floor Lobby.
- Center for Computer Aided Design, Fourth Floor, 4000 Hallway.
- Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Second Floor, Lobby.
- Center for Global & Regional Environmental Research, Second Floor, Lobby.
- IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering, Third Floor, 3500 Hallway.
The Research Open House is aimed at anyone interested in learning more about ongoing research activities in the college. Participants will have an opportunity to meet and network with potential collaborators, as well as learn more about the academic programs for those considering the College of Engineering for their studies.