Four Engineering Faculty Members Appointed to Named Fellowships
Four College of Engineering faculty members have been appointed to named fellowships. They are Nicole Grosland, Thanos Papanicolaou, Michelle Scherer, and Xiaodong Wu.
Grosland, associate professor of biomedical engineering and orthopaedics and rehabilitation, has been appointed the Donald E. Bently Faculty Fellow of Engineering. She also is affiliated with the Center for Computer-Aided Design at The University of Iowa.
Papanicolaou, professor of civil and environmental engineering, faculty research engineer at IIHR—Hydroscience & Engineering, and researcher for the Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research, was named the Donald E. Bently Faculty Fellow of Engineering.
Scherer, professor of civil and environmental engineering and researcher at the Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research and the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Institute, and research engineer at IIHR-Hydroscience & Engineering has been appointed the Robert and Virginia Wheeler Faculty Fellow of Engineering.
A member of the college's Distinguished Engineering Alumni Academy, Donald E. Bently is an internationally recognized authority on rotor dynamics, vibration monitoring and diagnostics. Born in Pleasant Prairie, IA, he earned UI bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering in 1949 and 1950, respectively. He is currently the owner, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Bently Pressurized Bearing Company, a manufacturer of bearings that control stability in rotating machinery. He also owns Bently Agrodynamics, an agricultural firm, and Bently Biofuels Company, a producer of low sulfur biodiesel fuel from waste vegetable and virgin seed oils.
The Robert and Virginia Wheeler Faculty Fellowship in Engineering was established in 2003 through a gift to the UI Foundation from the estate of Robert Wheeler and his wife, Virginia. Born in New York in 1922, Wheeler earned a bachelor's degree in 1948, a master's degree in 1949, and a doctorate in 1958, all in civil engineering from the UI College of Engineering. He was a UI instructor in civil engineering from 1953 to 1958 and served as assistant professor from 1958-1961. He later taught at Macalester College, Michigan Technical University, and the University of Akron before retiring from the University of Missouri-Columbia.