- New Annex
- College A-Z
UI Spectator: Focus on Sustainability
Monday, June 8, 2009
Spectator, a University of Iowa publication serving alumni and friends, recently published a Spring 2009 special issue devoted to sustainability and how the University -- and the College of Engineering -- are embracing everything from research and operations to academics.
Engineering students, faculty, and staff are involved in a multitude of activities, including:
- A program inspired by an Engineering student, now alumna, nearly one ton of food waste from campus residence halls is sent to a composting bin instead of the landfill every week.
- Engineering researchers study pollutants in air over the Arctic and left behind by flood waters back home in Iowa.
Following are links to three of the major feature stories in the publication. Reading them will give you an even greater perspective of the commitment to sustainability on the UI campus and at the College of Engineering.
- Embracing Out Environment: Researcher Explore Earth-friendly Innovations Large and Small -- http://www.sustainability.engineering.uiowa.edu/photos/feature/embracing-environment.pdf
- Earthly Concerns: University's Campus Conservation Efforts Continue and Expand -- http://www.sustainability.engineering.uiowa.edu/photos/feature/earthly-concerns.pdf
- Mixed Greens: Courses Campuswide Connect Students to Sustainability --
Also, to learn even more about College of Engineering programs and activities, go to our special sustainability web site at http://www.sustainability.engineering.uiowa.edu/.