Office of Grant Support Information
College of Engineering Office of Grant Support (OGS)
3016 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts & Sciences
Iowa City, IA 52242
Director: Joel S. Steele
(319) 384-0812 (Voice)
(319) 335-6086 (Fax)
Welcome! The College of Engineering Office of Grant Support (OGS) is a new research administrative support service established to assist Engineering faculty, staff, and students in identifying promising research funding opportunities and preparing effective, competitive, and winning proposals. OGS services include:
- Identifying and disseminating research opportunities relevant to engineering investigators
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary research proposal efforts involving multiple departments, both within the COE and among other University of Iowa Colleges and departments
- Assistance with development of non-technical grant proposal supporting documentation (investigator biographies, current & pending research awards, budgets, budget justification, facilities descriptions, etc.)
- Coordination of and informational resources for representation, certification, environmental, export control, intellectual property, and other contractual/compliance assurance requirements
- Liaison with central University contract, grants support, and compliance offices (Office of the VP for Research, Division of Sponsored Programs, General Counsels Office, UI Finance & Operations, etc.)
- Assistance with proposal package completion and submission
- Internal review of proposal submissions
The OGS will also serve to coordinate peer review participation and activities supporting federal funding agencies and prepare and maintain College-wide research productivity reporting in support of COE research performance assessment and strategic planning.
The OGS website provides a centralized resource for research funding opportunity announcements and open solicitations from government, private, and non-profit sponsoring agencies, access to external and UI internal guidelines, procedures and requirements for the development and submission of grant proposals, non-technical supporting documentation and templates necessary for the completion of proposal application packages, links to government and other sponsoring agency-specific electronic proposal submission capabilities, and information on upcoming grant proposal development training sessions and workshops. Over time, our objective is to also incorporate searchable databases of investigator biographies, current, pending, and prior research awards, and research-supported publications. While the primary focus of the OGS and OGS website is pre-award and submission support, some post-award resource links are provided to assist investigators and administrators in conducting and managing funded research projects and programs.
The OGS is a new administrative support service in the College of Engineering. We believe the OGS will be an invaluable resource in assisting Engineering investigators to achieve and sustain productive, dynamic research programs supporting the College’s educational and technology development missions and strategic growth. We invite College of Engineering researchers to avail themselves of the services and resources this office provides, and we’re available to meet with individual investigators and/or departments as needed. Over the coming months, we expect to refine the scope of OGS services and website resources/capabilities to better serve our researchers, and would very much appreciate your feedback in helping us do so. If you have any comments or suggestions regarding the services offered by the OGS and the resources available on the OGS website, or if you have specific grant-proposal related needs, please contact us here.