Engineering has always driven the advancement of humankind.
A few examples of engineering accomplishments from the past century include the widespread distribution of electricity and clean water for public health, the advent of automobiles and airplanes for transportation, the development of radio and television for communication, widespread adoption of antibiotics and medical imaging for human health, and the advent of computers and the Internet to transform the ways people interact. Click here for more on the Great Engineering Achievements of the 20th Century.
The Grand Challenges program at The University of Iowa College of Engineering is focused on 14 topics identified by the National Academy of Engineers (NAE) as areas awaiting engineering solutions in the 21st Century.
- The NAE 14 Grand Challenges
- Grand Challenges Scholars Program
- Grand Challenges Related Research in the College
- Program Description & Application
- Current Grand Challenges Scholars
- Grand Challenges in the News