Not only have College of Engineering alumni and friends supported College facilities, equipment, and endowed chairs, they also pass on their knowledge and experience to the next generation of engineers.
The Student Leadership Institute draws students from engineering, business, and liberal arts and sciences to a weekend seminar in which they explore real-word challenges and meet key business leaders.
"Every one of us is different, but what makes a good leader is not one personality type, but the recognition of how you can direct your energy and that of your colleagues and employees toward a shared goal."
- Gary Seamans, Engineering alumnus & co-founder of the Student Leadership Institute
Besides including staff facilitators from the College of Engineering and the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, the seminar features recognized UI alumni and corporate friends who are leaders in business and industry who are eager to share experiences from their careers.
The institute format uses both small- and large-group sessions to expose students to real-world challenges, immerse them in hypothetical situations, and introduce them to key Iowa engineering alumni. It also has strengthened the bond between the engineering and business colleges—a partnership already nurtured by a collaborative effort that supports the UI John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center and the College’s Technological Entrepreneurship Certificate program.
Engineering students are invited to apply. Representatives from each major will be selected.
What do students say they learned?
“The key to motivating others is getting them past their fear of failure,” one student remarked. “The best leaders have an exceptional ability to listen to people,” added another. And perhaps the best summary to date was this: “I learned that leadership is something more than just leading. It’s also encouraging others to reach their full potential.”
For the UI colleges, the institute does several things:
- Exposes students to proven ideas, successes, and failures of experienced business leaders.
- Exposes alumni and friends of the College to student perceptions and ideas, as well as to the level of their leadership abilities already.
- Engages alumni and friends in another extension of their commitment to the College - by giving their precious time, talent, and wisdom that are almost immeasurable.
- Builds a stronger bond between both the students and the administrators of the two colleges.
For more information about the College of Engineering Student Leadership Institute, contact Nancy J. Schneider, Director of Academic Advising and Retention.
Host & Sponsor of the Student Leadership Institute
A special note of appreciation to Rockwell Collins, Inc. for hosting and supporting the Student Leadership Institute.