Emeritus Faculty, Civil and Environmental Engineering
4106 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 1977
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Iowa, 1971
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Iowa, 1970
Present Research Interests:
Bioremediation of contaminated waters
constructed wetlands treatment of contaminated waters
role of microbial-reactive mineral interactions in fate and transport of pollutants (e.g., As, Hg, oxidized organics
anaerobic biological waste treatment
- Shrout, J.D., Williams, A.G.B., Scherer, M.M., and Parkin, G. F., "Inhibition of Microbial Perchlorate Reduction by Zero-Valent Iron," Biodegredation, 16, pp.23-32 (2005).
- Sawyer, C.N., McCarty, P.L., and Parkin, G.F., Chemistry for Environmental Engineering and Science, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill, New York (2003).
- Williams, A.G.B., Gregory, K.B., Parkin, G.F., and Scherer, M.M., “Hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine Transformation by Biologically Reduced Ferrihydrite: Evolution of Fe Mineralogy, Surface Area, and Reaction Rates,” Environmental Science & Technology, 39, pp. 5183-5189 (2005).
- Shrout, J.D., Struckhoff, G.C., Parkin, G.F., and Schnoor, J.L., “Stimulation and Molecular Characterization of Bacterial Perchlorate Degradation by Plant-Produced Electron Donors,” Environmental Science & Technology, 40, pp. 310-317 (2006).
- Nivala, J., Hoos, M.B., Cross, C.S., Wallace, S.D., and Parkin, G.F., "Treatment of Landfill Leachate Using an Aerated, Subsurface-flow Constructed Wetland," The Science of the Total Environment, 380, pp. 19-27 (2007).
- Brown, H. and Parkin, G.F., "The effect of Sulfide Inhibition and Organic Shock Loading on Anaerobic Biofilm Reactors Treating a Low-Temperature, High-Sultate Wastewater," Water Environment Research, 81(3), pp. 265-288 (2009).
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
Water Environment Federation
Iowa Water Environment Association
American Society of Civil Engineers
Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
American Chemical Society
Special Fields of Knowledge: