Welcome to Velocity Vortex!
Veloxity Vortex presented by Qualcomm® is played on a 12ft x 12ft square field with approximately 1 ft high walls and soft foam mat floor. The field is divided diagonally into a "red" and a "blue" side corresponding to the two alliances. In the center of the field are two goals on a rotatable stand called the Center Vortex. Two ramps, each with a goal, called the Corner Vortex, are placed in opposite sides of the field. The Center Vortex Goals and Corner Vortexes are alliance specific. There are also four alliance newtral Beacons, two placed on each front wall next to the Corner Vortex. There are floor markings as well as Vision Targets placed on the field walls as reference points for robot navigation.
For more information about Velocity Vortex, please visit the FIRST website.
- All teams in Iowa are required to register with FIRST. This is the official way of registering with FIRST. If you need to change contact information, you can do when logged into the FIRST system.
- Teams must also register with FTC-Iowa (a link will be sent to you once you've registered with FIRST.)
- Please review the FTC-Iowa Funding Resources document.
*Note: FIRST collects a registration fee of $275 per team. However, this registration fee stays at FIRST Headquarters in Manchester, NH. In order to cover our local (Iowa) costs, the FTC-Iowa program need to also charge a registration fee per team.*
Sept. 10, 2016 - FTC-Iowa Kick-Off Celebration
Sept. 9, 2016 - Leagues will be announced. League coaches will be able to work together during kick-off.
Oct. 17, 2016 - Begin Meets. Teams in the leagues determine the dates/locations of the meets. No Three meets per team during these dates
Dec. 17, 2016-Jan. 28, 2017 - League Championship
- Dec. 17, 2016 - Nevada Middle School, Nevada, Iowa
- Jan. 7, 2017 - Southwest Valley High School, Corning, Iowa
- Jan. 7, 2017 - Western Iowa Tech Community College, Sioux City, Iowa
- Jan. 14, 2017 - Union Community School District, La Porte City, Iowa
- Jan. 14, 2017 - Fort Dodge High School, Fort Dodge, Iowa
- Jan. 21, 2017 - Marion High School, Marion, Iowa
- Jan. 21, 2017 - Peet Jr. High, Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Jan. 28, 2017 - Hills Community Center, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Jan. 28, 2017 - Central High School, DeWitt, Iowa
Feb 4-Feb. 11, 2017 - Super Qualifier Tournaments - *A Super Qualifier is a one-day, 24 team tournament in which teams must advance from the League Championship. The Super Qualifier provides an opportunity for more teams to advance out of the League Championships to the next level of competition. The Super Qualifier will advance teams into the FTC-Iowa Championship. We will use the Advancement Criteria listed in Game Manual Part 1 for team advancing from League Championship to Super Qualifier and from the Super Qualifier to the FTC-Iowa Championship and from the FTC-Iowa Championship to the North Super Regional.
- Feb. 4, 2017 - Super Qualifier - Western Iowa Tech Community College, Sioux City, Iowa (Bartel, Craven, Cassidy, Olson, Daniels & Lightner Leagues)
- Feb. 4, 2017 - Super Qualifier - John Deere Financial, Johnston, Iowa (Morgan, Moulds, Henry, Dunn, Summers, & Meyer Leagues
- Feb. 11, 2017 - Super Qualifier - Pleasant Valley High School, Bettendorf, Iowa (Gurnett, Francis, Ashton, Bently, Wyrick and Emmert Leagues)
Feb 24/25, 2017 - FTC-Iowa Championship, for those teams who advance from the Super Qualifier.