2401 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 2000.
M.S., Mathematics, University of Michigan, 1999.
M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 1996.
B.S., Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology, 1995.
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Combustion; laser diagnostics; reacting and unsteady flows; combustion instability; reaction layer dynamics; high speed imaging.
Present Research Interests:
Flame front dynamics; impact of fuel mixing on combustion instabilities; combustion of bio-derived fuels; droplet and spray dynamics.
- Yilmaz, I., Ratner, A., Ilbas, M., and Huang, Y., Experimental Investigation of Thermoacoustic Coupling Using Blended Hydrogen-Methane Fuels in a Low Swirl Burner, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 329-336, 2010.
- Huang, Yand Ratner, A., Experimental Investigation of Thermoacoustic Copuling for Low-swirl Lean Premixed Flames, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 365-373, 2009.
- David, R.L.A., Wei, M.H., Liu, D., Bathel, B.F., Plog, J.P., Ratner, A., and Kornfield, J.A., Effects of Pairwise, Self-Associating Functional Side Groups on Polymer Solubility, Solution Viscosity, and Mist Control, Macromolecules, Vol. 42, pp. 1380-1391, 2009.
- Kang, D.M., Fernandez, V., Ratner, A., and Culick, F.E.C., Measurements of Fuel Mixture Fraction Oscillations of a Turbulent Jet Non-premixed Flame, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 156, No. 1, pp. 214-220, 2009.
- Kang, D.M., Ratner, A., and Culick, F.E.C., Consequences for Flame Behavior from Coupling of Combustor Pressure and Fuel/Oxidizer Mixing, Combustion Science Technology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 127-142, 2008.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
AIAA: Senior Member, Iowa Section Program Chair, and University of Iowa Chapter Advisor; ASME Member; Combustion Institute: Member and Premixed Combustion Working Group Committee Member; Iowa Academy of Science: Member and 2007 Meeting Fluids Section Co-Chair; Reviewer: Combustion and Flame, International Symposium on Combustion, Experiments in Fluids,