Kyung K. Choi
2134 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Joined the College of Engineering:
Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, University of Iowa, 1980.
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, 1977.
B.S., Physics, Yonsei University, 1970.
Special Fields of Knowledge:
Reliability-based design optimization (RBDO); robust design optimization; metamodeling; design sensitivity analysis; mathematical theory of optimization and its application to mechanical systems; and mechanical systems analysis.
Present Research Interests:
Reliability-based design optimization (design for 6-sigma) with target confidence level; surrogate modeling for RBDO; sampling-based RBDO; mechanical systems analysis; design sensitivity analysis and optimal design of nonlinear systems; computational methods in mechanics; mathematical theory of optimization and its application to mechanical systems.
- Dong, J., Choi, K.K., Vlahopoulos, N., Wang, A., and Zhang, W., Design Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization of High Frequency Radiation Problems Using Energy Finite Element and Energy boundary Element Methods, AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2007, pp. 1187-1198.
- Noh, Y., Choi, K.K., and lee, I., Identification of Marginal and Joint CDFs Using the Bayesian method for RBDO, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 40, No. 1, 2010, pp. 35-51.
- Lee, I., Choi, K.K., Gorsich, D., System Reliability-based Design Optimization Using MPP-based Dimension Reduction Method, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 41, No. 6, 2010, pp. 823-839.
- Noh, Y., Choi, K.K., and Lee, I., Comparison Study between MCMC-based and Weight-based Bayesian Methods for Identification of Joint Distribution, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, to appear, 2010.
- Lee, I., Choi, K.K., Noh, Y., Zhao, L., and Gorsich, D., Sampling-Based RBDO Using the Dynamic Kriging (D-Kriging) Method and Stochastic Sensitivity Analysis, 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, September 13-15, 2010, Fort Worth, Texas.
Active Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Fellow); American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Associated Fellow); International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (Executive Committee Member and Former President);Society of Automotive
Engineers (SAE); Associate Editor, Journal of Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines; Associate Editor, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications; Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Reliability and Safety (IJRS)