Transfer Students

  • Completion of two courses: Single-Variable Calculus I, and either Principles of Chemistry I or Calculus-based Physics I, with grades of A or B.
  • As and Bs in any subsequent math, science, and engineering courses taken.
  • Completion of high school unit requirements.
  • The University of Iowa requires a minimum transfer GPA of 2.50.
  • Complete the minimum admission requirements.
  • Apply Online.
  • Send an official transcript from every college and university you have attended. See more detail at
  • See "Transferring Credit" section below.
  • Once admitted to the College of Engineering, you may request a degree audit on your MyUI site to see how the courses you've taken fulfill degree requirements.
  • Email Megan Allen with any course transferability questions.
  • Complete the admission requirements.
  • Apply Online.
  • Request a "What If" degree audit on your MyUI site to see how the courses you've taken fulfill engineering degree requirements.
  • Once admitted to the College of Engineering, call 319-335-5763 to schedule an engineering academic advising appointment.
  • Prior to being admitted into Engineering, you may request Special Permission to register for the first two engineering courses: Engineering Problem Solving I and II.
  • You may wish to take ENGR:1000 Engineering Success (1 hr), which is offered in the fall semester. There is no special permission required to take this course.

Have a question about transferring?

Whether you have questions about transferring credits, single courses, or joining the University of Iowa, contact us today!

We're glad you're thinking about transferring into Engineering@Iowa!  

Useful links:

Transferring Credit

Transfer guides have been created for many community colleges and several universities; see list below. If your school has a transfer guide, that is your best resource for courses to take (and how they'll transfer) for the College of Engineering.

If we do not have a transfer guide for your college or university, or you have questions about additional courses not listed on the guide, consult one or all of these online tools:

MyUI Transfer Couse Equivalency Guide

I-Chart for Iowa community college students

Transferology a nation-wide network

If you have a question about a course that you can't find through these tools and you have not yet been admitted into the College of Engineering, contact the Office of Admissions. If you already are admitted into the College of Engineering, contact Megan Allen. You may need to provide a syllabus and course description.

Iowa Transfer Guides


Buena Vista University Central College Coe College Des Moines Area Community College Eastern Iowa Community College - Clinton
Eastern Iowa Community College - Muscatine  Eastern Iowa Community College - Scott Hawkeye Community College Indian Hills Community College  Iowa Western Community College 
Iowa Central Community College Iowa Lakes Community College  Iowa Lakes Community College Wind Program ECE Iowa Lakes Community College Wind Program ME Iowa State University 
Iowa Wesleyan College Iowa Valley Community College - Elllsworth  Iowa Valley Community College - Marshalltown  Kirkwood Community College Luther College
Mount Mercy College North Iowa Area Community College Northeast Iowa Community College Northwest Iowa Community College Southeastern Community College
Southwestern Community College  University of Northern Iowa  Waldorf College Western Iowa Tech Community College   

NOTE: Courses listed in the college transfer guides or on MyUI have been pre-approved for transfer and DO NOT require any additional paper work. Transfer credit not listed in the above two search options will require advisor and department chair approval, except for general education courses which require approval from the Student Development Center only. Transfer credit is evaluated after the student submits a course description and a completed Transfer Credit Agreement Form to the Student Development Center, 3612 SC.


Outside of Iowa Transfer Guides


Blackhawk College  Elgin Community College  City Colleges of Chicago 
College of DuPage  College of Lake County  Harper College 
Heartland Community College  Joliet Junior College  McHenry County College 
Moraine Valley Community College  Northern Illinois University  Oakton Community College 
Prairie State College  South Suburban College  Triton College 
Waubonsee Community College  Western Illinois University   


Other University Transfer Guides 

University of Guam

NOTE: A grade of C- or higher is required for transfer credit to be applied toward an engineering degree. Remember to have an official transcript sent directly to the UI Admissions Office, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52245.